Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LMB Fishing Report July 29, 2007

The big ones biting! Sunday morning I went out for four hours with my daughter and I had two right at 7 lbs, and quite a few more keepers in the 1-2 lb range. This was one of my best trips on Buggs yet. Beautiful fish!

We noticed the full moon on our way to the ramp, and I believe this had an impact on our success. We simply hit it right, and the larger fish were migrating shallower than one would typically find them, and I believe stayed there longer because of the conditions.

The first one over six lbs came just at daybreak. The second one came at about 9 am and we left soon thereafter. These fish were on shallow cover and were caught on a Zoom worm with a very light sinker. Most strikes were around rip rap banks and on structure located on outside bends of creek channels. Now I know these deeper outside bends are suppose to be better in the spring and fall, but the large fish seemed to preferentially move shallower in these areas, at least this particular morning.

My daughter had a blast fishing a small jig under a cork and caught probably ten fish of varying species, including bass. A large bass nailed the cork and took it under for several seconds. I tried to follow up with a Pop-R with no success, but it was great fun watching a big bass hit the cork.

You don't have to spend the entire day in deep water just because it is summer. If you go early or late, you might just catch them migrating into the shallows and can save the deep structure fishing for later in the day.