Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling report for Saturday

The white perch were not as obtainable on Saturday althought I still caught 12 big ones to go long with the 20 or so smaller ones I caught trolling the mouth and surrounding points along Island Creek. The Arkansas Blues were there in force though and I ended up moving around more than I wanted in an effort to get away from them. the biggest blue I caught Saturday was just over 12 pounds (the batteries in my digital scale died before I could get the exact weight). All were caught on spoonplugs and roostertails - preferring chartreuse spoonplugs and yellow roostertails in the morning, then later in the day hitting chrome spoons with char. or yellow (bit both equally well)roostertails. Did'nt catch any striper.LMB or W.bass this time, but did loose two nice sized white bass at the same time just before getting them to the boat.

Re: Trolling report for Saturday

I knew I should have gotten my rear out of bed saturday morning and gone. grrrrrrrrrr

I just hate it when fishing for 12 ounce fish and those 12 pounders continue to get in the way.

Yeah I know what ya mean, but I honestly was wantin' a bunch of white perch. As I get older I really don't care to catch a bunch of bigger fish, and will readily hand off those 12 pounders (even smaller ones) to anyone fishing with me to see them enjoy the moment. Saturday I had to fish alone after waiting for someone who was wanting to go with me not being able to, and running short on time. I did get two white bass that would have been about a pound and a half each on one tolling rig at the same time which got my interest up (but I lost them both at the boat).
I've caught my share of big fish, but would gladly catch white perch every time I went fishin' if I could pattern them better in the winter. If you'd have told me 20 years ago (or even 5 for that matter)that I'd forgo catching stripers and largemouth for a bunch of perch I'd ah told ya you been out in the sun too long.
If you're wanting a hot spot to fish for decent sized cats (mid teens) the mouth of the first cove above island creek out in about 24 feet of water has been holding them for the past several weeks. They'll nail a properly trolled lure (silver or chartreuse) at about the 15 foot zone at 2.4 to 2.8 mph (gps).

Re: Re: Trolling report for Saturday

Understood James. I spend most my fishing time chasing little trout or Bream with the flyrod these days. Some people question that, but I figure to each his own. Thanks for the tip on the cats. My son still gets his kicks chasing the big fish. Where is a good place to launch from to fish that Island Creek area. I've never been to that area.

Thanks again for the tips.
Bob

Bob if you don't mind me answering that question there is a landing within site of the Island Creek dam. If you take a look at the map on the Kerr Lake site you can find it.

I put in there for the first time last week. I never realized there was a such a large island straight out from the ramp.
(just wish I had caught some fish)

Bob - after you put in at the island creek ramp (as you were instructed in the post above this one) to get to the cats ---(keep your map handy)... as you leave the ramp bear right and you'll see the big island straight in front of you, you can go thru the narrow channel to the left of the big island (good deep channel no prob. with depth) and as soon as you come out of the channel just hang a left and the cove I spoke of is only a hundred yards or so to your left. There's a rock shelf that runs along the left entrance to this cove and the fish stack up on it pretty good. THe biggest cats I've been getting are about in the center of this entrance, most in around 22-24 feet of water but suspended between 12-16 feet. I've been trolling the 14-15 zone and it's been real productive. Also just off the right mouth of the cove to the RIGHT of the big island ... the cove just past the broken up private boat landing is good for cats as is the DEEP (left side as you're leaving island creek) side of the doglegged hump (look at your map). I'll probably be in the area again this weekend on Saturday - if I can help put you on them I'll be glad to do it - you can't miss the Dan River Yacht.

Re: Re: Trolling report for Saturday

Thanks for the info. Hope to get down there soon.