new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: opinions............. jfo .......fisdoc........or anyone

yamaha 4 stroke or e-tec??????
Either one will be a good choice, all 4 strokes require more maint and weigh about 50% more. You really need to look at the maint required and get the cost of it, not just oil changes but timing belt replacement, tune up cost, winterizing and so on. And who can do it? If you must tow the boat 100 miles to get maint done then is the $$$ spent worth it? E-tec very little to do as you know strong dependable engine the gas mileage is not much different either is my understanding and reading. When I replaced the motor on my boat after all was said and done I went with a 2 stroke.
NOW a ??? for you what size boat have you decided on?

I have a Mercury Verado 200 4-stroke and the 1st maintenance oil change is 100 hrs. I second guessed Chatlee Boat when I bought it so I called Mercury myself and asked them and they told me the same thing. 100 hrs. It sure is nice to troll for stripers and be able to hear yourself think and not gag on fumes.... just a little joke for you 2 stroke guys.

have not decided size or brand yet ..... think I may go to Chattlee on Tuesday to window shop a little........how is the noise level on the e-tec ???????
talked to a guy yesterday that was pulling a scout .....he said if you ever own one you would never buy a different brand........said the only thing that would make it a better boat was if he had an etec instead of 4 stroke

not a noisey motor at all according to what I have heard running on the lake here is the web site for more info
www.evinrude.com/en-CA/e-tec

I have a 75hp e-tec and it is the quietest running outboard I have ever owned. At full throttle I can have a conversation with with a fishing partner without having to yell.

chappie

chappie.......... I am the guy from Oxford ..... gray stratos boat...... daughter going to Wake Forest.. (she now works at Duke ,who do I pull for this basketball season ????? lol )....... we have talked at the lake a few times........................ I have heard the etec has good power and you say it is quiet like a 4 stroke ......how is the gas mpg

I've been on 2 different triumphs and they both rode rough. When they hit a wave it's like hitting pavement, it'll literally bring you to your knees. A buddy of mine has a Sea Pro with an Etec 150, it sips gas and rides great. He uses it for everything from crappie fishing to offshore. I almost hit the starter again because I couldn't hear the motor running. If I had the money I'd upgrade my junk to his type of combo right now.

I participate in several outboard repair forums and normally the E-tec is spoken very highly of. Someone posted a report about them stating they run cleaner than some of the 4 stroke. I can't remember where that report is.

I found a 21.5 ft tidewater with a 140 susuki 4 stroke today ......... 2 live wells.... lock rod box .....plenty of storage ...... just might be the boat for me

I heard the Navy is auctioning off some old PT boats. HA!! Just kidding sounds like you have received and taken some very good advice and done your homework. Good luck on your purchase. Smiles. G

anyone else have thoughts on the 21.5 ft tidewater or the suzuki engine ......................???????....also the dealer told me I should ask 7k for my bass boat

RJ
Good to hear from you again.
When it comes to college hoops i am a UNC fan all the way, sounds like we may be able to have a few friendly wagers.
My etec has plenty of power but i have not paid much attention to mpg. i just fill up when it goes below 1/4 tank.
My CC is 17' long and the motor pushes me along at about 38 mph.
i wish i had bought a bigger boat, i feel really cramped when fishing from the rear of the boat. But now my wife wants a pontoon and i can't justify having two boats so i may get my wish.
The tidewater sounds nice.
I am here at Kerr all this coming week and the boat is in the water and ready to go if you want to check out the etec or maybe even fish, let me know.
tight lines
chappie

I have a buddy with a 255 E Tec - it does run really quiet (when it is running), and is often VERY, VERY, quiet, because it is always in the shop. Maybe he got a lemon, but I would not own and E Tec after all the problems he has had. Computer problems, egnition problems, 2 lower untis, and it finally popped on him last week. I know he has spent at least 30 hours of his time pulling it to and from the shop in the past year and a half, not to mention the time lost on the water waiting for it to be repaired over and over again. Just my 2 cents.

that was a 225 E Tec - OOPS

Who gave the bad advice Salty Dog??