This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Closing of Boat landing at Eaglepoint

Hello,
I am writing to request help from all fellow fishermen and women that are interested in keeping the Eagle Point Boat Landing open so the public can continue to fish and enjoy the the lake. It has been suggested that the boat landing at Eagle Point be closed..... the reason is because it is felt that no one uses the landing and it is to expensive to remain open...keep in mind that it is the only free public access to the lake remaining in our area. I would like to ask that anyone opposed contact the following person who has been designated the contact person to review reason why it should not be closed:

Michael Womack 434-738-6143 ext. 101. Please help keep this ramp open.
Thank you,
Teresa

Re: Closing of Boat landing at Eaglepoint

I use that ramp all the time because I love it, not having to fight the crowds or the tourneys. Its a little out of the way but accesible all the time. They really can't be spending too much money on that ramp. No grass to mow, no power there so no lights, all gravel. The only thing there is a outhouse and the ramp itself so what is the big cost to keep it open I wonder?

I would hope that before you make a statement to close the ol ramp... you would know what you are making a statement about! Visit it to check on just how much trouble it is.... Many people do use the ol ramp mostly for recreation and to stay out of the way of the professional fishermen/women. What galvanized fittings you are making reference to ??? The ramp is a concrete slab... there is one pit toilet and no lights and no dock.

Sitting here laughing.Glen you talk like you may get some kind of tax break if they close the ol ramp.You are funny.I guess if it doesn't affect you then it's just an ol ramp?I got an idea Glen,they can close all the ramps and you can sit your butt on the bank and watch the sun rise and set.

The landing should stay in operation. If I came to the lake from that side I would use it more. And your not going to get a tax cut if they close it. Any way your tax dollars are given you a free landing use it. I have to agree with buggs at least on this issue.

I have been the victim yet again of some posting under my name. Check my IP @. G

Godd Morning Buggsman: As long as I have posted on here have you ever read a negative or disrespectiful post from me? Please check IP #'s before you form your opinion and post a reply. Have a blessed day. Smiles. G

My apology Glen(the real one).

I wonder where all the outcry is for this.I can remember the letters that were wrote to COE and State Reps to keep open certain ramps.Remember folks,this affects us all,whether you use it or not.We pay our tax dollars and fishing fee's just so we can use the ramps and other facilities.Whether the ramp is being used one or more times should be no concern of the Federal,State or local government.They used our money to build it and they use our tax dollars to take care of it and that should be it.Whoever takes care of this ramp will still get paid the same.The only other thing is that the people once again will be hindered by the government.It's all about them taking,taking and still taking and we as citizens,giving,giving and more giving.The sportsmen were robbed back in the Wilder days when the G&IF funds were allocated to fund other government spending.Why is that the American people are being pooped on so much?And by it's own government.

That's the closest ramp to us . Our place is on Taylor Ferry Rd, since the Corp want let us put our own ramp in we use Eagle Point all the time . If they close that ramp we would have to go all the way (down that dirt road)to Rudd's to launch, use all that gas running boat to Rushing Creek (at the power lines), do the same thing to load the boat out,drive back to the trailer, drive back out to go home. Of course , it's not their dollar in the boat or truck tank. There is usually several vehicles in the lot, plus several groups fishing from the bank. Unless the Boy Scouts can lauch from their site, where would they be able to use ?

HI,
I USE THIS RAMP ALOT.MY WIFE AND I LIKE IT BE CAUSE ITS NOT SO CROUDED.THEY TRIED A FEW YEARS AGO TO SHUT DOWN STAUNTON VIEW STATE PARK AS WELL A BUNCH OF US WROTE LETTERS AND STOPPED IT.WARREN WAS THE FIRST TO TELL ME ABOUT IT.I'LL SEE HIM THIS WEEK AND TELL HIM ABOUT IT AND SEE IF HE STILL HAS THE
NAMES AND ADDRESSES WE WROTE TO BEFORE.THANKS FOR POSTING.

2 BEARS

We faced the same fate for the Staunton View Boat ramp and Day-use area a few months ago. It took a lot of people as a group working toghether to change their minds on the closing. Don't wait get those form letters out in the public , call those elected officials and voice your concerns and be serious.
I don't know the particulars on that closing. Ours was leaked to us months in advance before a final decision was made. We took action immediately! It worked for us and it should work for tat ramp also. Put the heat on those who is responsible!
Good luck and keep the topic hot! The more positive "ATTENTION" brought to your concern the better!

Look forward to the address ... any help and support will be great!! Will report anything new as soon as I hear it. I heard that it was going to be in the local papers soon, as there may be other areas they wish to close!!!
Teresa

The information I have found out on the Eagle Point Landing. The COE have identified (what they consider) two sites of least use and are evaluating closure in some respect of them. They are Eagle Landing and the campsite and beach at Ivy Hill (don't know about the ramp area). A press release is going out this week outlining the review and there will be time for public response to the action they recommend. That's well and good except for user's who are not from the area and not aware of the plan's to close them.

Hello again, I heard about Ivey Hill this morning, it seems to me the information is not getting to the locals and that is a big problem... Hope this keeps getting the attention as soon as I find out what paper it is in I will post again..
Thanks

E-mail to contact COE is Paula.W.Cooper@saw02usace.army.mil .... Get those e-mails out .
Thanks,
Teresa

The gates post are up at Eaglepoint, it's only a matter of time now. I don't want to loose this ramp but it looks like the COE has decided.
Teresa

Seems like every couple years licenses go up, hunting and fishing but what do we see for our extra dollars??? Ramps being closed, launch fees get higher. Guess thier figuring the park officials can save an extra 15 - 20 minutes a day out of thier busy schedule and devote that extra time to writting parking tickets for parking in the grass. Just my opinion but The USA has always spoken out about dictatorship in other countries and look what were doing now in Iraq or Iran, The US has a dictatorship, It's the US Government. My wife is 38 yrs old, Diabetic, lost one eye to diabeties and is legally blind in the other and and what sight is left is deteriorating quickly, Think I would be able to get any help ??? Nope!! I make 15 dollars an hr. working in a cabinet shop and am making payments on a home and own a truck therefore I make way to much money to get any kinda help, Now if I made 6.50 an hr, didn't own that beat up 89 chevy truck and lived in a single wide trailer I'd get everything I need. How the he!! can a man make 6.50 an hour and support a wife and child with no medical insurance. Our gov. is sending 100's and 1000's of young men and women almost monthly to Iraq and for what ?? What is the world coming to ??? Look at all the laws "for our own good" Everything they decide they don't like or agree with they make a law against, Is this really the land of the free, You get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, Yet a 15 year old can drive a car. You gotta be 21 to drink but can sign up with the military at 18 and go shoot people. Yep folks this is a grand ole place we live in. Hey Buggsman, Glad to see ya posting your catches agin. I'd almost bet if they leave the ramps open they won't be free much longer, Thats the problem, it's "FREE" to the public, Now yall know they can't keep paying officials to check on this ramp/s when thier getting nothing out of it, Folks these are only my onesided opinions and views not meant to offend any who read them. Wonder how long it'll be before they start charging by the pound for the fish your allowed to keep ?? Ray M

Ray,
I think you covered it all ...I agree...nice to hear that some people feel the same way. My mother is also diabetic but because she and my father worked and made a living they do not qualify for any help paying out of pocket for her insurance as well $750.00/mos. It is sad when citizens can't get help but we can send it everywhere else !!! Best of luck to you and yours ..

Teresa

THANKS