Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carp Tourney anyone??

Anyone interested in a CARP TOURNEY?? Bob said we could have it at BIBT. Say about a month from now? Normal rules with a 80% payout.

Re: Carp Tourney anyone??

Hey Bubba!!! I have 19 Japanese Coy fish in a 2,500 gallon pond in Apex. Largest from 10 3/4 lbs {when I cleaned it out a year ago that was his weight} several 4 -6 lbs down to 1/2 pound. Do they count??? If so I'm in. HA!!!!!! Smiles. G

Carp tourney sounds like fun but I dont know how many folks will go for it??

Hi Guys .....

Count us in.
I doubt we'd hold a candle to you locals but perhaps we'd each learn something. At least you might find our gear interesting as we fish for Carp all over the world and our methods and tackle will be very different to your own. I reckon we'd be in for a beating though as there is no substitute for local knowledge but what the hell ...... be fun if nothing else.
All the best.

Just had a word with the boss and he's happy to put $250 dollars into the pot ....... biggest Carp wins.
All the best.

Just a thought .........
If there isn't enough response to Carp how about a general tourney,last week in August, all species ...... citation fish win and share the prize. No excuses not to enter then is there ?

CARP TOURNEY>>>>>>>>CARP !

Carp tourney sounds good to me!! I tourney fish all the time for carp from shore at ponds, And it seems to be A pretty big deal for some people. Just not sure how it will be from A boat. Let me know when it is, And count me in!!

been yrs since i fished for carp, but they sure were fun. lookin forward to the tourney myself, hope to be there...may be learn some new techniques. FD

I'm like fishfinder, never fished for Carp from a boat. Only bank fished at ponds.
How would you fish for Carp at Buggs?? Just curious because I don't have any idea. I have often wondered because I see them jump quite often while fishing for other species.

Mofish .....
Must admit that the Carp in Kerr had us baffled on our first trip out from the UK some five or six years ago. Small ones were easy but the bigger ones caused a few problems. We tried everything we use in Europe and just got dozens of Catfish, hell they even took one of my best Carp baits, raw strawberries laced with yeast. Five trips later we came out last year and finally got to grips with them. Fist trip was 49 cats and 3 Carp, last trip was 35 Carp and only one Cat ........ The Carp in Kerr like in most other places we fish around the world are great fun, they never know when to give up. So okay, they don't taste good but catching the real big ones 30lb plus takes some beating for sheer sport and they fight like crazy. We have always fished for them at Kerr from the bank and some of the gear we use looks pretty strange to you guys. Pop over during our stay from August 7th to the 30th and we'd be pleased to show you how it all works and perhaps we could pick your brains about Kerr in general. We have rented a pontoon boat this time to cover some more water but will probably get off and fish from the bank anyway, difficult to see how we can set up our gear on a moving platform, but there must be a way.
All the best.

Grumpy:

Thanks, I enjoyed your reply!It brought back some old memories of my childhood.
When I was a teenager my neighbor ( an older gentlemam by the name of Mayo Stevens ) would call me over to his house. He would be makeing up a big doe ball for carp fishing and he would say, be ready at 4:00 in the morning.
Bright and early we would head off to the pond with about 10 rod and reels, set them out all around the pond with the clicker on. Every so often a reel would sing out and we would have a fight on. Man, that was fun!!!
The old gentleman is gone now, and I cherish the memories of the good times we had.

Mofish.

Yeah I have similar memories, except that now I'm the old one !
Things have changed a lot over here, you hardly ever see dads out with their kids fishing anymore and the kids themselves much prefer to sit in their bedrooms playing computer games ..... sad.
Doughballs are still effective but they are not specific in that they can catch Carp of any size. The bigger ones are more solitary and wary so the smaller ones almost always get to the baits first. As a result the baits we use now are more complex and have added triggers such as feromones/Betas/Amino acids etc in order to appeal to older fish ...... it helps cut down on the youngsters. Doesn't always work though which is after all a good thing. if fishing ever became that easy there wouldn't be any point doing it.
All the best.

I am not a carp fisherman. But have caught some big carp. I have fished for carp with no luck. But have caught some trophy carp accidentally. Have caught several over 30lb and probably up to 40something not including the ones that have broke my line. Have never had a scale on hand when I've caught them. And all where released unharmed. All but one of the trophy carp where caught on crickets fishing for bream one on a roster tail a fish doc special fishing for what ever would bite. And yes sir they fight. Also in-fisherman has had some shows and articles on catching carp from a boat. And as far as the fart comment they would not be rolling on the top if they where not feeding and nun of the trophy carp I've caught have hit on the bottom. Hope the carp fishing gos well. You have my respect.

Quint

You're right, Carp feed at all levels pretty much. In fact there's a lake we have fished in Australia where the Carp feed exclusively on the surface, it just depends on the available food source. True they are better equiped to bottom feed and perhaps prefer it but anyone who bottom fishes only will miss some good fish.

Grumpy:

How did you come up with the name Grumpy ? It just don't seem to fit .
Anyway, I may try to make it to Kerr sometime between Aug 7th & 30th and check out your Carp fishing technique. I don't normally fish for carp eather but I am always willing to learn new techniques for any fish species.
I have 5 grandchildren and love to spend time with them. My 6yr old grandaughter loves to fish and you can bet I take her every chance I get. She has won two tournaments this year already. Parents & grandparents should spend as much time as possible with there children.

Mofish

If more people like you spent time with their grandchildren etc perhaps the world would be a better place...... how on earth do they learn from all the mistakes we have made if we don't teach them ?
As for the name Grumpy I kind of inherited it in the army. Wasted 30 years of my life stupidly believing that it was the right thing to do, was in Nam during and after the collapse of sanity and then spent time on detachment with your own DEA in Columbia etc before going on to alsorts of other conflicts as cannon fodder for whatever politician decided they were right to take lives. Kind of made me have little patience with the world in general .... hence the tag Grumpy. Still, I reckon you and all the others on the forum are only interested in fishing so I'd better shut up before you all start yawning, we all have our stories to tell. Fishing makes sense of it all. Alone at night waiting for the reels to scream is priceless. Add a bottle of something good and some fresh fish .......and lifes not all bad after all.
Be good to see you and any other of you guys that fancy exchanging some knowledge, we all have a lot to learn after all.

Grumpy:

Yep; this is a fishing forum but I enjoyed your post and found it interesting. As long as it is clean and respectful there should not be a problem. I can't speak for the adm but I would think they feel the same.
Take care!
Moe

Mofish

Sleep safe and catch plenty.

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed catching those big monsters @ Buggs, love to get in on this.

Any dates fixed for the Carp tourny ?

Grumpy:

Won't be long now. What is it, 4 more days? Guess you will soon be counting down the hrs.

MOFISH

Yup, less than 48hrs to go. We leave our base at 4am Tuesday, 5hr drive to Gatwick airport,4 hr wait to get checked in, 2 hours queing, 10 hour flight, 2 hours getting out of RDU, another 2hrs drive to the house etc, add another few hours for all the various delays, truck hire etc etc and hey presto ...... back to Kerr at last!
It usually takes somewhere around 25hrs or thereabouts and hell, if I ain't Grumpy when we leave I as sure as hell will be by the time I get there!

Still, that first dawn on the porch will make it all worthwhile, give me the sanity of the open air rather than the city cr*p everytime.
All the best.

Wow! All those travel hrs would be enough to make anyone grumpy!!!!
My prayers are with you for a safe trip.
Moe

Thanks MOFISH.
May your God go with you and I really hope to meet and chew the fat.
I'll post our phone number later today.
All the very best.

Never have been very big on carp, but i have fished with a guy from Russia in the Deleware Water Gap up in NJ.Caught Several nice Carp in the 30-40lb range using Nabisco shredded wheat, corn meal and water, mixing it all together with your hands and turning them into doughballs, later put on a treble hook, this method has worked for me. Hope you guys catch them all!