Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roanoke Rapids Lake

Does anyone have any usefull information on Roanoke rapids lake? I will be there in two weeks for a tournament and know nothig at all about it other than it has lots of grass? And also to watch you do not take off your lower unit. Any information would be greatly appretiated.

Re: Roanoke Rapids Lake

Thats the lake I fish 95 % of the time. Its a great lake but one similar to Falls from what I understand.
The upper part has definitive channels but there is a lot of submerged obstacles. Just follow the buoys and you will be fine. The lower part of the lake is deep water. The lake has few well defined points. I fish the underwater humps and old river channels mostly. Good luck with your tournament.

Bo

Anthony,

I might can help you out a little. Yes, it is full of grass and yes, it will get a lower unit if you aren't careful. I know most of the fish are being caught on crankbaits along the edges of the grass and alot are being caught by guys flpping the holes in the grass. I heard guys talking yesterday and some were flipping finese worms and others were flipping small creature baits. Green or black colored. The water in that lake is extremely clear right now and I know the guys that were using fluorocarbon have had been catching more fish. Hope this helps you out. I didn't do well yesterday, but I fish this lake quite often being just 20 minutes away and I my advice would be go to the grass and stay in the grass. Good Luck!

Thank you both, Jerry if you here anything new over the next two weeks please drop me a line and let me know.

Thanks
Anthony

Anthony

I found out that some of the bigger fish were caught on the scattered grass with white spinnerbaits. That may be the thing to go with if you get a little wind to blowing. Anything else I find out in the next two weeks, I'll send to you personally.

Re: Re: Roanoke Rapids Lake

As Jerry said the best tactic is to fish the cabbage.
Look for small islands with distinct points or pockets. The points and pockets of these floating lettuce patches usually produce the best fish. I have not tried it this year but in years past running a deep diving crankbait along bluff walls also produced. Flourocarbon is the trick to catching a lot of fish now. Clear water means down size everything basically. Good luck with the tournament.

Bo