Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Duck hunting

Does anybody have any information about duck hunting on the hyco and dan river? Are there many ducks up there in the fall? Are you allowed to hunt it? Any information would be helpful. Thank you. Buckmaster.

Re: Duck hunting

i tried it last year and didnt have much luck, i went atleast once a week. tried up and downstream of hyco landing and also lower end of dan river. had some people tell me that below the dam was good(toward gaston) and parts of lower lake. but i want be wasting my time in that area any more. send me an email and maybee well get together and find some new areas to hunt together. more decoys+ more guns +more knowledge = more success.

I am relatively new to the area and would love to find some other local duck hunters to hunt with. Last year was my first down here and I was able to find 1 pond with Geese in the early season and nothing in the regular seasons. The one real lead I developed didn't occur until after the late season closed. I come equiped (2 Dogs and some geese dekes (floaters and shells)(my partners up north typically provide the duck dekes). Please send me an e-Mail if you are interested.

Thanks

River hunting usually doesn't hold lots of ducks unless ponds, lakes and swamps are frozen. With this crazy weather we have and mainley up north staying warm most of our luck has been wood ducks in swamps. We need cold weather to push done before the season ends as it has last two years. Don't know were your located, but lake Reidsville in NC has some decent hunting. Have hunted Arron's creek and dan as it enters Buggs but had no luck. Did see quite a few in stauton river but was about two months after season ended. There is plenty of good impounments and pudlic hunting in NC based on draw system. Let me know if interested and i'll send you some info.

David Carter

Thanks for the information that you posted. I am from Reidsville. My brother and I duck hunt Lake Reidsville. It is a very good lake to hunt when the ponds and swamps are frozen. I posted that comment to find out if anybody is hunting the rivers but i also wanted to see how other duck hunters were hunting and if they were having any luck. Early in the season we hunt geese at different cattle farms and ponds. But in the late season we devote our time to ducks. We have two brand new black labs this year. I am trying to put them on as many birds as i can. Just email me and let me know. Maybe we can get together and hunt sometime. Thanks for the information. Remember- Duck hunters are few and far between.

Buckmaster