Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FISH DOC AND CATFISH

FISH DOC TELLING HOW TO TROLL FOR CAT FISH

www.fishingwithphil.com

click on the ad on this page

Re: FISH DOC AND CATFISH

Just watched this segment on-line. Pretty cool. You can always tell old FISHDOC by his trademarked whistle! Other than fishing with him, I have never used the technique shown in that video, but it looks like fun for sure.

Toby

Toby, it is fun. ya can use this technique from may til oct an catch many different kinds of fish at buggs.

Fishdoc; Have you ever used this technique on any other lake with any success?

Fishdoc,

How fast are you pulling those rigs?

MOFISH, yes, i've used this technique on many different lakes. the ones with multi-species (whitebass, whiteperch, stripers, cats, LMB) are prime waters for it. Bryan, we use the outboard an troll 2.5-3MPH(GPS)

I was just wandering.Have you caught any channel catfish on this setup or just blues and flatheads?Thanks for any response.

Fishdoc,

Thanks for the info!

Yes we been catchin channels on this rig since we started back in the early '80"s trollin it for whitebass. have caught channels up to 14lbs this way. we used to say ya could tell when the stripers or whitebass have finished feedin, cause we would go to catchin channels then. they come in an clean up after a major bass feed.

Fishdoc will that same set-up work with other lures
such as a diving crankbait in conjunction with the roostertail with similar results? Just curious... but why mess with something thats working -LOL

Hey Doc, for those of us that don't have a GPS is there a painless way to aproximate the correct speed?

Fish Doc enjoyed your videos. Have you ever used live or cut bait in place of the roster tail? Or trailed the roster tail with cut or live? If so did it make a difference in the number and size cats you caught?

One more? The Shyster will they work equal? I have some that are probably heavier than the 1/4 once rooster-tail. And they also have caught many fish of different species over the years for me like you say mainly in yellow. The 1st big bass I hooked around 10 years old came on one. I had caught 1-3lb bass all day from the same spot in the upper end of a pond in the spring a long with a few bream and bull head. There was another boy fishing with me. We had a stringer full of fish in the old day's. And I made a cast and a whirlpool formed and the drag sounded. The boy with me said your hung up, a replied no it's a fish a few seconds later it jumped and you could see the Shyster in it's mouth. The fishes mouth looked like a 3gal bucket and the body was wow! It was for sure 12lb+ then my friend got exited. I fought the fish for a good while and could not get it to the bank. My friend keep saying pull him in by backing up on the bank and I'll grab him, so he waded out and I backed up. Bad judgement under excitement! Well there were button bushes a few feet out into the water. And when he went to grab the fish it made it's way around a button bush and broke the line and free it was. Neither one of us had ever seeing a fish of this size and the excitement got the best of both us and the fish free, with a Shyster in it's lip. Do they still make Shysters? Any way?

Yes, it will work with any plug that will attain your target depth. only had a GPS a couple yrs myself. start trollin with enuff speed to get the plug to wiggle...increase at intervals til the fish let ya know ya got it rite. have never tried cut bait on this rig. we use cut bait when we find a concentration of perch. use a kentucky rig then...large weight on the bottom, 2 or 3 hooks spaced above hook. Quint, they still make a Shyster an, yes it or any similar spinner works. i just think the RT works best. hope this helps y'all. FD

Re: Re: FISH DOC AND CATFISH

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I have heard to the technique and talked with a gentleman about it not long ago. I have questions:
1) Do you use more than one swivel? (I know about
three way swivel, but was wondering if you used
one with the rooster tail?

2) Also, what pound test line do you use for the
baits? I heard you say 20 lb fireline for the
main line.

3) Are you using flourocarbon line?

4) What other diving baits do you use?

5) Did I understand you to say you let out enough
line so the plug bumps the bottom then reel up
a couple of turns?

6) At what depths have you had the most luck as of
lately?

Inquiring minds want to know. But, I will gladly ex-
change any info I may have. Thanks.

Bo

1) yes, we use a sampo ballbearin swivel on the roostertail 2)we use 20lb to 40 fireline or braid.3)use 17-20lb florocarbon as leaders off 3 way 4)baby brush busters, 6a, 7a bomber models'A's. any divin plug that will reach ur target depth. 5) yes, thats usually the way we fish. if ya plug hits bottom too hard or often it will foul the rig. 6)15-20 ft...hope this helps ya!!!

Re: Re: FISH DOC AND CATFISH

Sir, thanks for sharing the info. My partner and I are considering giving this a try. I like to try
new fishing techniques. Have a good week and good fishing to you.

Bo

I've seen your video like 5 times I love it I have been trying to find the Buck Perry spoon plugs you were using no luck I did see some vintage ones on e-bay, can you still buy them. Thanks John in Va.

Buck's Baits, PO box 66, Hickory, NC...they also have a website.

official website for spoonplugs : buckperry.com

Went on line to look at Bucks baits.Were you using the 4" type?The video was very informative by the way.Were you using a 3 foot leader on one eye of the swivel and a 4 ft on the other eye or were you using 2 diffrent rods with 1 leader on each

you need check this post( trolling for perch/ & CATFISH it will tell you all about it.just type it in the search bar.

we use the #100 series an the #200 series mostly at this time of year. i use a 2ft leader on the divin plug an a 4ft one on the RT. off a 3 way sivel. hope this helps!