Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
another motor question

My neighbor recently purchased a 17 ft cajun bb with a 140 suzuki. Had a compression check done and 2 cylinders are hitting at 120psi the other is at 90. They told him a new power head would be around 3k installed. How does that sound. His main concern with that is that is more than he paid for the boat/motor/trailer. Also they told him that since the other two were fine, the one cylinder my have a carbon build up and to try a product called ring away in the fuel and that may clear it up. What would you all say.

Re: another motor question

Had the same problem with Johnson 112 and was told the same about a power head. I pulled the plug on the cylinder with low comp and flooded it with SeaFoam, let it sit for a few days, reinstalled the plug and started it. Let it run at a high idle then cleaned the plug. It took several times of doing that but I eventually had a engine that runs like new. I just add SeaFoam to the gas about every other tank full. It may quit the next time I use it but has done well for a few years now.

Let me guess- it's an oil injector correct? If so I am so sorry. I owned two and that was two too many. Blew both up with the problems your friend is having. I would not run it until you know for sure. I have a friend who would know your answer. I will ask him. He is a top notch o/b mechanic. Smiles. G

If that motor sat around for a few years and that cylinder was at the top of its stroke, it may just be stuck rings. That Sea Foam is some good stuff when used as directed.