This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
90hp mariner question

Good mornning. I have a motor question.

I have a 90 hp mariner motor on a procraft boat. Yesterday, the alarm for the low oil/overheat started buzzing when I turned the key. The motor was full of and the water pump was spitting a steady stream of water.

When I engaged the throttle, the buzzer noise started cutting out and would cease noise until I started to pull the throttle back closer to the neutral position.This has happened before and the boat repair said the battery cables were loose and caused the buzzer to sound. I checked yesterday and the cables were tight.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does it sound like a short in the system or a bad sensor?

I am taking it to the dealer this week, but wondered if anyone else had seen this occurrence.

All responses are appreciated and I wish safe and productive days on the water to everyone!

Re: 90hp mariner question

Sounds like an oil pressure issue. When idleing the oil pressure is low and when reved up the oil pressure builds. I would be hesitant to run it in this condition. I would recommend installing an oil pressure gauge to verify this.

TRAP

Thanks TRAP. I am going to take it back to the repair shop tomorrow.

I would agree with the oil issue. It could be the gear that drives the oil pump. I had it happen to my 175 Mariner. If it is the gear grab you wallet and hang on. They have to tear the motor down to the crank to replace it. I was quoted any were from $800 to $1200.

Thanks Champ. Appreciate the heads up on the estimate.

I agree with the do not run. I blew a Yammy and it started 2 times with the alarm at idle. I was told possible bad sensor next trip out, bottom cylinder gone. Smiles. G

2 stroke? Just mix the oil into the gas the "old fashioned way" and phooey with the oil injection.

my johnson 150 did the same thing a few years ago ....... I disconected the vro and the alarms.......started mixing my gas/oil.......... later found out that there was water in the bottom of my oil tank .........................

Thanks for all the responses! I left work a little early today and dropped it off at the dealer.

It is tough leaving work early....hooking the boat up...pulling it across the bridge that looks down my favorite bass spot...and then having to drop it in the parking lot of the dealer and drive back across the bridge...look down on my favorite bass spot...and go home!!!

Thanks again for all reponses and I wish the best for everyone!!!