Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STRIPERS 7-17

WELL, PRIOR TO TODAY, THE 2 TIMES I'VE BEEN STRIPER FISHING THIS YEAR, HAVE LIMITED OUT. WHEN I STARTED THIS MORNING, I JUST KNEW I WOULD LIMIT OUT PRETTY QUICK. DID I GET A RUDE AWAKING. FISHED FROM 6AM TO 1PM. NO FISH, NO HITS, NO NOTHING. AS I HUMBLY PUT THE BOAT ON THE TRAILER WITH MY TAIL TUCKED BETWEEN MY LEGS, I GUESS THE LORD JUST WANTED TO GET MY ATTENTION AND LET ME KNOW I'M JUST NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT I WAS. HOPE SOMEONE ELSE DID BETTER THAN ME. SETTER

Re: STRIPERS 7-17

Thanks for the report SETTER!!! Better luck next time!

don't feel bad, man. i fish 250 days a yr an get this same feelin quite often...thats why its called fishin, not catchin

We've all had them days. Whack one day go back the next and get whacked.Just hafta chalk one up for the lake once in a while.

Setter,

You got it made man, I think the good lord does me the other way around. I catch fish everynow and then so I know I can do it right sometimes. I envy you for the amount you catch most everytime.

I feel your pain! We went catfishing at Buggs on Saturday. We drifted and anchored up at several different places between 7:00 and 11:00 pm, without a bite. We had the prettiest bait we've caught all year. Big Man does know how to humble us don't he?

Setter,

Did you mark any fish? Anyone else fishing on the lake or catching fish?

I fished Sat. & Sun. with my slowest trip of the year. Do the fish normally school through August?

Thanks!

PILOT MIKE,

I DID MARK SOME FISH. RIGHT MANY SINGLES. ONLY MARKED ONE SMALL SCHOOL AND TRYED EVERYTHING I KNEW BUT NOTHING WENT OFF. I'VE HAD PRETTY GOOD LUCK IN AUGUST ON SCHOOLING STRIPERS. THE PROBLEM IS THEY EITHER GO DOWN AND LAY ON A FLAT OR GO UP A CREEK AND FIND A SPRING. ANOTHER WORDS, HIT'EM YOU GET'EM. BELIEVE ME GUYS, I DID NOT WANT TO SOUND LIKE I WAS FUSSIN. I JUST WANTED YOU ALL TO KNOW I DIDN'T CATCH ANY FISH.
SETTER

Re: Re: STRIPERS 7-17

As that old outdoorsman says "somedays you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you!" As stated earlier we all have those days. I know you are biting at the bit to get back out. Oh, the challenge of the chase!! Good luck!!!!!!!

Bo

Setter, how far up river did you troll?

Well setter this is war eagle and you know we have had a slow year with the rocks!But about a two weeks ago till know we have been catching some nice stripers.We put away the bucktails and live bait and started jigging them spoons like we do in the winter and it has paid off for us.We have been using 7/8 oz white spoons but I dont think it matters long as you get it in front of them.Our biggest one went 29 inches and several in the 24 to 26 inch range.Been fishing in 28 to 42 feet of water most fish are in 32 to about 35 feet of water.Fishing is very funny sometimes because back in june we couldn't buy a bite but now the tables have turned.I normally ain't the one to tell everything but hay what the heck nobody can catch them all.Hibernia and palmers point is were we have been catching our fish.But theres probally alot of people that already know that.Good fishing!

War Eagle are the fish suspended or on the bottom? I use the mega bait spoon/ 1 oz. I have been catching stripers mostly small ones on shad. We have caught some nice stripers but for the most part they are small. I have been catching stripers on flats around 10 ft deep. I have fished for stripers a long time and August is one of the best months to catch them trolling shad in skinny water.

Bo

The spoons I use are war eagle super spoons in the 1/2 oz and the 7/8 oz but the big fish weve been catching have been about five foot of the bottom.But it is like you say I've been very surprised about the size of the ones we have been catching.Usually there are alot of small ones we've caught in the past but I don't know what the deal is.Its usually just being in the right place at the right time and alot of luck.Just try to right for them to run up on the drop offs or ledges.

I am confused by your last statement on the prior post. I understand about the five foot off the bottom but the other statement was ???????? I
am a retired teacher and just can't let some habits die. Ha!!

Bo

Thats my fault.I'm always in a hurry and spelling words wrong but you know what I mean.Wait!