Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bannister River, Halifax VA

Drove across the Bannister River on 501 in Halifax, VA today for the first time and saw a decent looking boat ramp. It looked pretty good with the dam, etc. Has anybody ever fished for bass there ? How much fishable water, depth, etc. Pretty bored with dragging a rig in 30' of water hoping for a couple of bites and looking for alternatives. Thanks in advance

Re: Bannister River, Halifax VA

Nobody has ever fished here ??

I have fished the Bannister but not for bass. It has some really good crappie fishing and I have heard good catfishing. After you leave the ramp and round the bend headed up be careful! It get's pretty shallow really quick! Good Luck!

Live @ 5 minutes from there...my husband has gotten 2 citation bass - 8lbs and up/22" or greater - (has actually caught 4 {citations} but only got info sent in for 2) And thats just in the past year. Could send you pict's if you wanted. We go there quite a bit -- just because its so close -- and can usually catch SOMETHING. Great crappie fishing too! Just as any fishery..some days you can't catch much, but there are definately some good sized bass in there!! I also have pictures of a bass he pulled out with a net..probably around 2-3lbs...the bass was dead/floatin - there was a crappie stuck in its throat! He pulled the crappie out and the crappie swam away!

Fished Banister yesterday for 3 hours. Caught 18 white crappie with only 2 keepers. The crappie in that lake are really skinny for some reason. I don't know whether it is post spawn or lack of food but you could just about read the newpaper thru them.