Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dumb Question

At the risk of sounding stupid, here is my question. When a lake has very big rivers that are constantly putting in water from the entire length of the state, how is it possible not to have enough water. Maybe i am looking at this in too simple of terms, but I would think way more would be coming in than you could let out or that would evaporate. It just seems like they ought to be able to keep the lake at a constant level easier with all the water that comes in every day.

Re: Dumb Question

my understandin is that they have to keep gaston nearly full for the dock owners an they pull water from gaston that goes to VA beach. that along with the increased elec usage from air conditioners causes a constant draw down every summer.

one would think that a lake the size of Kerr, that is 3 times as big as Gaston and gets water in constantly could still support this. When they draw down for electricity, this goes into Gaston as well and I would think that alone would give Gaston enough water. Maybe I am oversimplifying, but it just seems hard for me to imagine more going out than coming in

In addition to what Fishdoc stated, you have to understand that Kerr is a USACE reservoir. It's primary purpose (reason for existence) is flood control/water management. I imagine water levels are regulated for that reason, power, recreation is secondary.

Also, flood control lakes are required to maintain a minimum out flow at the dam gates to ensure a certain flow down river fromt the dam. In times or drought they will have to pull more out than is coming in to maintain that flow.

Re: Re: Dumb Question

That is not a dumb question. You never know how you look till you get your picture took. Words of wisdom from an old fisherman I knew. Every reply is correct.
I attended a seminar regarding striped bass several years ago. There were biologists from va and nc there. I asked the same question. They looked at each other and grinned. Their reply was the army corps of engineers go by a history of lake level, regarding kerr. They try regardless of the amount of water in the water shed to be at that level on that date. They admitted they did not really understand the water level management procedure. So, as I stated earlier all replies are dead on. Hope this gives you some insight.

Bo

Hey Crappy Fisherman! I had a ninth grade teacher who jumped all over me to for using the expression dumb question. It is a naive or uninformed question she informed me. She said by using the term dumb you are insulting ones intelligence. So remember it is a naive or uninformed question.