Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lights at night

In years past I have used lights floating around the boat as an attractant for white perch and crappie. I dont recall ever catching a catfish under the light. I was told by a coworker that floating lights and catfishing did not mix. Im going to try to go out a few nights this week for some cats and like the light on the water to help illuminate the boat but dont want to be counter productive. Any thought on this are appreciated and many of the opinions on here are valued. Thanks

TRAP

Re: Lights at night

I'd use the lights to attract shad for bait but I'd cast way out away from the boat. Cats hunt more by taste than sight, they don't care much for your lights but some will come to it because there's a bunch of shad there. Bigger ones won't, they know what the deal is.

I had considered anchoring on a flat next to a drop off and putting the lights out by the boat and casting into the drop off. Thinking big cats may run to the deep water due to the lights. Heck if things get too slow we can fish for perch or crappie. Might even fish for both at the same time.

I use one of the green lights like they have on the old clarksville bridge and almost always catch catfish. No they aren't the big monster cats but they are nice eating sized ones. There have been few trips where we didn't end up catching several cats. Jig up the shad, drop it back down to bottom on carolina rig and catch em, along with largemouth, whitebass, white perch, crappie, and stripers, depending on where I have anchored up.

Jbare is correct

We never have any light shining on the water, when we anchor we even cover up the running light on the back as best we can without completely getting rid of it. Big cats do NOT like lights, however I do hear that the green ones might be good, don't know for sure, but personally, I catch all I need without any light.

can you buy shad anywhere around kerr lake or do you just have to catch them, and if so what is the best way to catch them and what bait, thanks i am new to catfishing and am going this weekend and would love to try it out. where are some hot spots at kerr lake.