Return to Website

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A big thanks to the people of this message board.

Just got home from a week at Kerr. I fished the area between Kimballs point and county line camp ground. Monday the 9th was my first morning out fishing. I wake up at 430 and step out with my flyrod and catch about 4 small bream. My father in law and I head out. We have no luck on bass and decide to hook up the bream and drift for cats. Set up at the mouth of the cove and Nutbush and start a drift back in. We start in 50ft of water and as soon as we hit 30 ft my rod doubles 10# cat, get him up and released and hook into another good cat about 8 pounds. Those were the only two that morning but we had good luck with them all week.

That afternoon I break out the fly rod and am messing around with bream when I catch my first bass and my first bass ever on a fly. A dink about 13 inches. Put him back and keep on fishing. After everything I read I didn't think the bass were shallow, but they were.

I caught all my bass about 20-30 in 12ft of water or less, and 90% or more on topwater. I had a great week and I am thankfull for all of the advice I received from the people here, it really helped.

Re: A big thanks to the people of this message board.

Glad to hear you and your family had a successful and enjoyable trip. Also thanks for letting us know how yaw did.

This time of year, top water almost always works until the sun gets above the horizon. Also you can catch the bass shallow 0-10 foot as well. You just will catch smller ones. The biggest bass I had this week end came on top water before sunrise in about 2 foot of water. Yesterday I fished a worm in 10 foot or less water and caught about 5 up to 2 pounds with most of them about a pound.

Thanks,

Quint I got your email this morning right before I had to leave for work, I will respond back to you when I get home.
Jeremy