Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16' Boat speed

I have a 16' tracker bass boat with a 25hp on it.
I can get around 23mph (GPS) out of it. The boat is rated for up to a 40hp. Have been thinking about putting a 40 on it. But when I read the post about the Yamaha 50hp MOFISH is only getting 30mph.
I know the boat has a lot to do with it. Does anyone have any idea what kind of speed you can get out of a 40hp on the back of a 16' tracker?

Re: 16' Boat speed

I have an evinrude 40 on the back of my 15.5' Glasstream bass boat. It runs about 28 mph when trimmed properly. That is up on plane and plenty fast for me. I rarely run at full throttle and mostly just easing along at slow speeds watching the electronics to look for fish. It has been my experience that the faster you go the less effective a fish finder is, so I am happy with the slower speeds and have no ambitions for a faster boat.

TRAP

Ive got a 15ft trihull with a 50hp evinrude, My GPS says it'll only run 18mph, But I think thats wrong. If thats right I Dont want to run 70mph like some of these claim thier boats will do.

I agree with you Trap in one respect. When I am in the area that I plan to fish the top speed doesn't matter so much. But when the area that I plan on fishing is up or down the lake 5 miles or more, thats when I would like more speed. I guess I am just anxious to get there and start fishing

I don't care to run 70mph, to me that is too fast on the water. My boat will run app 30mph but I would like to get about 40mph.

I have a 17' tracker with a 40hp evinrude on it. It gets 30mph (gps) and it's plenty fast enough for me. Plus it's easy on gas.

you will have to go to appr. 70 hp on it to get to 40 mph. its to heavy for that boat. i am running a 50 4stroke yammy on a 16.6 and 2 people with anchors and everything to fish with i get 33 to 34 gps and od reading. i have 3 batteries and trolling motor and i weigh 270. i am pleased with this. the 50 johnson which came on it new was at 32mph. the johnson gave me trouble from day one and blew after 3 years.been running the 4stroke since 96 every weekend and never a problem........my 2 cents

My 2 cents. I have a 16.5 Duracraft Pro Crappie with 40 HP 4 stroke Merc which is close to your boat. I can run 30 easy with me and fully equipped. 27-28 with two people trimmed just right. Check with your dealer a prop change might get you a little closer. I have to change my gas occasionally to keep it fresh HA! Seriously have only filled it once since '05. 5 gallons takes me 4 + times Crappie fishing. Smiles. G

I have a 16 foot sandpiper with a 40 Meecury. It is a heavy boat ( fiberglass)with a cc and it will do 35 with 2 people and fishing gear

I had a 16' Polarcraft Aluminum bass boat fully rigged with a Evinrude 50hp. With 2 people it would run 34 mph. Someone told me to change the pitch and I may get 40mph out of it but the rpm might be too hard on it so look at the range of pitch on the prop for your 25 hp and stay in the limits for it.

I have a weld-craft 1544 which is 15' 44" floor and 68"at the widest beam bass boat rated for a 50,with a yammie 2 stroke and power tech stainless prop it will run 35-36 with me,two agm batteries,7 1/2 gallon gas tank,and 32-33 with wife and same.The boat alone though is only 650 lbs,add 53 pounds each for battery,
8 lbs per gallon of gas,roughly 15-20lbs for trolling motor=832 pounds rough.

My 2003 17' tracker, 40 HP Merc. will run right at 28 MPH wide open and trimmed just right. That's my 250 lbs., 2 deep cycle batteries, trolling motor, fishing buddy, full tank of gas, baitwells full of minnows, and all our gear. With nothing in there but me and the cranking battery it gains about 3-4 MPH.

When they put some freshwater Wahoo in Kerr Lake or you become a member of the FastBassFishermen Club or what I call the Nascar circuit on the lake then dont worry about speed of the boat unless you have a motor problem,relax and you will get there just as quick and catch just as many fish as the speedsters.

Doesn't look like I would gain that much speed.
I'm not looking to go blasting down the lake at 70.
With the way things are for me I will be putting in at clarkville 95% of the time. Just wanted to start fishing a little sooner some days.
Thanks for the input.

A boat your size is not worth the money to upgrade to a new motor unless you blow that one...thats when you consider moving up.
Now with mine I run 65 and want to go faster sometimes...like from little nutbush to clarksville area, seems to take forever...lol I have been in a 100 + mph boat on kerr but this speed thing has to be done by a responsible person and only in certain situations.Even when I am fishing nothing ticks me off more than someone coming by me at 80mph and only 25 feet away...I have had this with both bass and pleasure boats.