Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 Cycle Yamaha ?

I have a 50hp 2 cycle Yamaha outboard with app 100 hrs. I bought the boat new. It only has a tachometer ( no speedometer ). According to the tach it will only turn a little over 2000 RPM's wide open.
I have not taken the boat back to the dealer sense I bought it. So my question is. Is the engine set up that way for the brake-in period ? Other than take it back to the dealer, what can I do to correct this problem ?

Re: 2 Cycle Yamaha ?

I would contact the dealer. Some makes they want to be brought in after 10 hrs, some 20 hrs, etc. Most of the time this service is free. If you do shade tree maintenance yourself you may void your warrenty.

Your tach may be set up wrong. A lot of them have a setting on the back of the tach to tell it whether the engine is a 3,4,6, or 8 cylinder. This has certainly happened before.

You might need the manual for the tach to find the proper setting.

If your engine was really only turning 2000 rpm wide open, you would have never made it to 100 hours without going to the dealer with some serious complaints.

Surfishalot; Sounds like you may be right because the boat will plane off & it seems to be running about 30mph. I'm not a mechanic, just hopeing I could get a little more speed out of it. Guess I should have got a larger engine.
Thanks guys and good fishing!!

Mofish i have the 40 yammie and still breaking it in,it is the same engine as the 50 but with different carb settings,if it was truely only turning 2000 rpms you would have never got on plane.Is the tach a yamaha brand or other?