Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
July Crappies

Hot as the fourth of July, steaming nineties air and humidity with the afternoons almost unbearable and you fully understand the meaning of a welcomed summer breeze. Buggs was hot and the crappies were not as we were told by Garland. It did not make sense to me that the master baiter was not catching any, nor anyone else it seemed from the stories told. After all the willow tree hole was deep, 25 feet and situated perfectly from the main channel and deeper water. I wanted to know what was going on there at daylight. July 5th at six am I got my chance. Swimming a white hair 1/16 jig thru the sunken limbs before the sun had cleared the tree tops proved to be the ticket for the feeding specks. Black crappie, thick from the abundant shad forage sucked in the tiny jigs like they were tasty appetizers. No culls, no throw backs, every fish was a full bodied healthy specimen with meaty shoulders. Fully recovered from the exhausting spawn, these fish were real beauties that aggressively took the lure and pulled hard. Fishing, you never know what it will bring. Spring was tough fishing at times. The calendar would suggest heavy stringers in March and April. The lake offered something different for us on most occasions. We were granted a couple of good days but more often than not we worked hard for our fish. Now with summer in full swing I expected to work harder to gather enough fillets for a big fish fry. The early daylight outings at our beloved willow tree let us momentarily sample the sweet taste of fish catching success for two solid hours each morning. The crappie on switch started at daybreak and promptly shut off at eight o’clock each morning. It was almost perfect. The busy holiday crowd was still tucked away in their foggy sleep. The cool morning air gave birth to a new breeze that gently interrupted the mirrored surface. Eagles, ospreys, herons and vultures were in search of their first meals. Orange highlights reflected the beginning of a new day. This time was the cream filling, the best part, a sweet taste that lingered for a short while. We sampled this delicious treat for three consecutive mornings.

Re: July Crappies

Hey guy: The reason you did so good that was my B-day.Ha!!! Good to hear from you. My wife's first cousin and her hubby came and he wanted to go Bass fishing on my B-day. I ran the boat and he finally caught on about 10". We called it a day when the lake visitors woke up. I want to try the Crappie but it is HOT!!! Smiles. G

Fishbud:

I don't know what your profession is but if you are not a columnist for a sportsman mag, you should be!
Good job guy!!!!

Wonderful post. I agree you should freelance write if you do not already. tight lines
~Geo~

Hey Glenn Christie!!

It was my birthday yesterday too!!!!!!!!! happy birthday to you!!

HAPPY B-DAY TO YOU AND MANY MANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiles. G