Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Castnet and Umbrella nets

Never really thought about it but what are the regulations on those two nets are fare as mesh size and whats your limit of bait and size you can catch

Re: Castnet and Umbrella nets

In Va regs an umbrella net may not be bigger than 5ft by 5ft square. In Va there is no limit on size or mesh on cast nets. Quantity wise, the creel limit table will apply to bait so you have to go by species. For example you may have no more than 50 total of bream, bluegills, & sunfish on kerr. The limit table is in the book. No limit on gizzard shad per rule in nongame fish section.

Maybe somebody else can state the NC regs but I believe they are the same...jfo

Only forage fish can be caught in nets in NC. No bream, crappie, bass,or such. BH.

My earlier post makes it look like you can catch game fish (bluegill, bream, sunfish etc) in a castnet in Va as long as you stay under the creel limit. This is neither right nor what I meant. In Va, its illegal to take any gamefish in a net (you must use hook and line). When you use hook & line, then the creel limit tells you how many you can have onboard. Sorry for an incomplete post...jfo