Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Staunton Blues

Fished a couple hours this evening (Sat.) caught 4 blue cats 2 biggest were ~12 lbs. Lost about 6 more couldn’t get a good hook set they were dropping the bait pretty quick.

Oh... Cut shad, below 360 bridge.

Monsterbuk

Re: Staunton Blues

Hey Monsterbuk..where did you find shad? I fish that section alot and finding shad has been impossible.Been using Brim...Shad info would be greatly appreciated.

Riverrunner,

I used shad that I had caught earlier and frozen in vacuum sealed bags. Some say they won’t hit frozen shad but I haven’t had a problem catching them on frozen shad.

I'd prefer fresh but it’s much easier to get a couple 5 packs out the freezer and go fishing.

Monsterbuk

How do you run from the lake up the Staunton river? Made a run by car up about 30 miles to look at river, then the two landings below that point, and finally at the park. Couldn't see how to get up river from the lake - looked all silted in except for a small passage near the opposite point. A friend took a kayak across it and said there was no obvious passage, except maybe for that small chute. I did see one boat run down the river by the near bank next to the park, but does this go to another area? Any help appreciated. Also surprised no visible flow near the Staunton River Park or am I mistaken? At what point does it flow at "normal" stage?

I'm not sure, I've never done it. If I was going to try it, I would put in at 360 boat ramp and go down to the lake to get a good look first.

There are quite a few boaters on this board that can tell you how. I've seen a lot come up during the catfish showdown events.

This link may help some:
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=14&Z=17&X=221&Y=1269&W=1

For myself, I would do the 360 down first to determine if it was something I would want to do on my boat.

Only other option would be to follow someone that knows it well.

Monsterbuk

Getting into Stauton in not a problem by boat, there are two ways in, from the ramp bear around to the right go around the island hanging close to the bank and cut across between the two Islands. The easiest way to to go down the lake about one quarter mile and cut back infront of the mouth of the Dan and head straight into the Stauton. Yes both ways you need to be careful an hang closer to the bank versus the islands. However I would not attempt this the fist time with out a depth finder. What I like about the Stauton versus the Dan is once in the river it is more open and much easier navigation.