Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ethanol Plant in Chase City?

Hey folks, I don't wanna raise any undue or premature alarm here but I see this discussion about a ethanol plant being built in Chase City. I find it associated to Osage Bio Energy LLC. I see a grant request which is rumored to be around $1M to help run a water line from Boydton to Chase City for it. I cannot find yet waste water dump permit requests, direction of waste water dump information, thermal profiles of waste water etc. I have not yet researched the exhaust side of a ethanol plant so I had a look at the water input side of the equation.

The first of the articles linked below says the plant is estimated to need 1.5 million gallons per day, the spokesman said this was within the capacity (4.2M gallons/day). Here is my math:

- This instant, the Roanoke is 832CFS at Randolph
- 1cfs * 7.48 = gallons
- 832 cfs = 6223 gallons.sec
- 6223 gps = 373,401 gallons/hour
- The Roanoke at Randolph has 8.96 million gallons per day on this snapshot
- The plant would pull an estimated 17% of the volume you see this morning.

I do not want to be alarmist here because if the pipeline comes from Boydton this 1.5M gallons may come from Butchers in which case the Roanoke/Staunton wouldn't be applicable. I dunno if the exaust would go to Butchers or Roanoke or either. Does anybody know where Boydton's water supply input comes from?

Folks, we have a lot of learning to do here and fast because the stakes are going to be high if this is true; jobs on one side, "potential" ecological issues on the other...jfo

http://www.vancnews.com/articles/2007/06/22/south_hill/news/news01.txt

http://www.vancnews.com/articles/2007/06/13/south_hill/news/news01.txt

Re: Ethanol Plant in Chase City?

jfo,

One of the biggest myths about ethanol and other bio fuels is that it will be cheaper than our current fuels.This is just plain out wrong.Fact:the BTU's for ethanol is the same as gosoline.Sothe consumer isn't gaining anything.And will not gain anything.

Grain prices have already jumped.So when all this ethanol crap is finally sorted through the weatherman will be bio-fuels best friend.All needs to be said is there is going to be some bad weather(it doesn't have to happen) and bam,the prices skyrocket.In "Big Oil",AAA is their best friend.The consumer can not win at the cat and mouse game.Just like "Big Oil" crying for years about the prices of foreign oil,now it's they can't produce enough or the refinery was down due to maintance.Did they operate all these years without maintance?Come on.I just betha that the people behind ethanol have been watching "Big Oil".

Well folks, I have urgent news for anyone that wants to find out what is going on with the proposel ethanol plant. I can now say that the plan IS proposed per footnotes in the agenda for this month's Mecklenburg Board of Supervisors Meeting which is this Monday at 930am at 350 Washington in Boydton.

At 1:30 on Monday, there will be a public meeting in Chase City at the Robert E. Lee Auditorium. This meeting was announced in the local papers I hear. At this meeting there will be representatives from the company proposing to build the plant and the Board of Supervisors will be there as well. So, we now have a LOT to learn really fast in order to ask the right questions.

Here are the questions I currently have:
- Can you confirm your estimate of 1.5M gallons/day?
- Where is the pickup for this water?
- What is the estimated wastewater volume?
- Where will wastewater go?
- Regarding your wastewater emmissions, what is the content of this specifically related to personnel and environmental hazards?
- What kind of fuel do you propose to use, some ethanol plants use corn but some us industrial waste?
- Regarding you air emmissions, what is the quantity, and what EPA guidelines do you plan to follow, ie the most stringent ones or lower level ones designed for smaller plants exausting under 250tons?
- If you do plan to exaust under 250tons per year, would you agree to comply to the more stringent EPA guidelines as a community concern item?
- Regarding your air emmissions, what are the planned contents of those emmisions? Specifically discuss cancer causing emmissions such as formaldehyde and acetic acid. Specifically discuss the Carbon Monoxide (CO) emmission quantity.
- Regarding your airborne CO emmissions, given that much of Kerr's water comes from acid rain impacted areas in the VA mountains, have you confirmed that prevailing winds and rainwater dispersal impact of your emmission would not accumulate with the low pH water already present to cause environmental impact to surrounding water?
- Regarding your air emmissions, please comment on scrubber technology planned to eliminate these emmissions.
- Regarding your air emissions and not speaking of cancer causing or unhealty agents, what is your plan to control the smell of the emmissions?
- What is the volume, content, and disposal plan for solid waste resulting from the process?
- Positively, can you confirm that the proposed plant would in fact create around 150 jobs?

Folks....we have little time here. Please stay positive and objective and lets get our list of questions lined up....thanks...jfo

JFO, I did some quick research and if this says what I think, Boydton gets their water from Gaston.

BUT, wait!!
Before the Buggs Island Lake crowds feels comfortable, remember the Va Beach water supply project from Gaston that uses Buggs as its slave to keep it at "appropriate" levels. We better not go to sleep on this one. I hope I am wrong.

http://www.boydton.org/wqr.htm

SOURCE OF YOUR DRINKING WATER

The source of your drinking water is surface water as described below. The raw water intake is located on Lake Gaston on the Roanoke River. Treatment of the raw water by the Roanoke River Service Authority consists of chemical addition, coagulation, flocculation, settling (superpulsator), filtration, fluoridation, and chlorination. All of these processes work together to remove the physical, chemical, and biological contaminants to make water safe for drinking.

Now now ya'll just sit back and let "Big Brother" will take care of you.Just look how they have done so far.Hey,maybe one day you won't have to worry about who eats what fish or who catches and releases their fish because it won't be anything but a dried up mud hole.Now wouldn't that be nice?Money talks and bull**** walks.The minds have already been made up,they just have to go through the process.

Thx Ashman, that's helpful. Your information clears the Staunton river levels from our concern (assuming my inputs about the plant getting water from boydton were right) and moves our thoughts to the overall Kerr levels. I'd already sent a note over to COE in Wilmington assuming that Gaston levels would be stable and asking them impact of 1.5M gallons/day onto Kerr's level in dry, normal and wet years but I just did that today so I've not heard back.

Additional questions since my first post in addition to that are:
- What is the impact assessment to tourism due to foul smells by the surrounding communities and if this answer is quite low, what are the plans for thermal oxidizers to combat smells?
- What is the impact to training and equipment on local fire departments given the flammability and toxicity of chemicals at the plant?
- What are the major planned tank truck routes?
- What is and how extensive is the evacuation plan given toxicity of potential fires or other events at the plant?

Folks, I do not know if we'll be able to ask questions at this public meeting or not but speaking for myself, I'm going to be ready. Please make plans if possible to be there at the meeting so if we are limited to a question or two, we'll have enough people to get all the questions asked....jfo

Chew on this site for a while jfo, if you haven't already.

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/

Personally, I don't think this is such a horrible thing if it comes to pass, especially if the power source for the distillation comes from Kerr hydroelectric itself since that is the purest form of clean energy. In addition, if it was mandated that the feed source (corn probably) come from VA, then it would also benefit many of the farmers that are suffering from cheap asian food imports, not to mention the 150 jobs. I don't see anywhere in the list of all the EtOH factories in the US where industrial waste is used as the primary feedstock. Ethanol, while not innocuous, is 100% biodegradable, so if a tanker dropped off the new bridge into the lake the diesel in the truck tanks would do more harm than the actual cargo.

I support anything that can chip away at importing middle eastern oil, even if its an imperfect solution, its a start.

I do understand your concern, though. Its not my backyard. Good luck!

Thanks old_friend, I'll have a good look at your link. I read back on my posts and you are right that I'm raising mostly concerns and in doing so I appear to be against the plant. Just for the record, I am not for or against the plant (yet). 50-150 jobs would be just great for the area. I want to get all the right questions out up front, and all the right people involved up front...that's all. Thanks for the reset...jfo

OF, I didn't see your mention on the waste thing until later. I looked back at where I got that one and found two items, one had a 2007 date on the top but looking deeper it was very old so I'd discard that one:
D:PersonalpollutionEthanol PlantNew Ethanol Plant converts industrial waste.htm

The other source appears fresh & valid and I'd appreciate your comments. Also, I would need to modify my question removing "industrial waste" and using "trash" instead:
http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18084/

Thanks again for the input...jfo

bad link on the old news story...sorry
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE4DD1639F931A25751C0A967948260&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fW%2fWaste%20Materials%20and%20Disposal

as far as air quality emissions from processing. I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about with the scrubber technology that is used today. I have seen monitoring systems specifically designed to monitor all particles in the stack prior to being airborne. If anything 2nd hand smoke is more harmful.

150 new jobs with the lake surrounded with houses.Think about the long haul for once.The ethanol idea is sort of like the recycling scheme.Everything that was made from recycled materials was suppose to be cheaper.But where did the consumer gain anything?If you go buy wash powder for instance,the price has skyrocketed and you get less.Suppose to be more concentrated.Yeah right.

How is ethanol being sold on the market?By the barrell?Remember that a barrell of oil isn't 55 gallons.It's 42 gallons.But big oil doesn't want you to know this and the ethanol producers probably don't either.

The very last thing we need to do in this country is to turn the energy needs of it over to the farmers. Fine people the small farmers usually are, but it won't be small farmers selling this corn. It will be the large corporate farms probably owned by the oil companies. The price of fuel may come down some. The price of food will skyrocket. It already has in Mexico as a direct result of converting the corn crop to fuel production. And every day that goes by produces more scientific evidence that gasohol is even more ditrimental to the enviornment that petrol fuel. Lets not burn our food supply in our boats and cars. It is the worst thing that can possibly happen. BH

The good thing about ethanol is that instead of our money going to other countries it will stay here. The plant will also bring new jobs to the area.

I just don't understand all this talk about environmental issues and anti-ethanol.
Current vehicles burning gasoline and the oil refineries cause 100% more damage to our environment and us, than ethanol production would ever do. Not only that, but when are we going to stop feeding cash to those crazy Middle Easterners?
My folks are from the Midwest and have been burning ethanol since the early eighties. At that time it was the lower percentage ethanol but I'm sure by now they have the 85% available on the market. They switched for two reasons. 1. To burn cleaner fuel 2. To help our farmers in the US. Who would you rather help US citizens or Middle Easterners? Why does it have to be cheaper to change? Isn't cleaner air and the reduction of supplying Middle Eastern crazies with cash enough??? I just don't get where you are coming from when you start using the term "Big Corporations" will get the money.
Big Corporations? Are you kidding? Many have helped produce these in the first place. How many of you shop at Wally World? If you do, then you have no place to talk of the fear of Big Corporations, because you're helping to fuel them. Do you have any idea how many Mom & Pop shops Wally World has put out of business in it's life time? I flat out refuse to stop there!!
How many of you invest in stocks? Do you think those stocks are for Mom & Pop businesses? You help support Corporations if you're invested in stocks so how can you talk bad about something you give your money to? Do you want it both ways?
We (whole US) should have been burning 85 ethanol ten years ago and we should demand it NOW and get our men and women out of the Middle East!
Heck, if it wasn't for the drunks, we could burn 100% ethanol and not need any gasoline for our vehicles. But someone out there would try to pull up to a filling station and start drinking out of the hose!

Well, I've done all the research I'm going to until after the meeting. There are many very different communities of folk that should be asking many of the questions above. Downwind folks, local proximity folks & firefighters should be most interested IMHO.

The link old_friend provided above and some of the positive comments posted here tell the positive side and it is estimated that 50-150 jobs could be created. I'm a believer in reducing our reliance on foreign oil. I'm not sold that ethanol is the fix-all but you know what??? I don't have a better idea. My best idea bought a Prius 70k miles ago and who am I to stand in the way of somebody else's best plan?

For me, its going to boil down to the airborne emmission control equipment (scrubbers/thermal oxidizers) and the water level impact in low-water years. There are multiple horror stories around about smells wrecking tourism and destroying home values but like Keep-it-Simple said, the technology to fix this problem is available and could be designed into the plant from the start. Regarding the water level impact, I am most likely going to trust COE Wilmington's science. Last three days the 150m gallons would have increased the flow over the dam by 62%, 7% and 9% respectively. I'm not hydrologist or biologist enough to know if that matters or not on the ecosystem level. See you all at the meeting, I'm gonna take a few hours off work to go. jfo

Just as an FYI, the proposed grain source is barley (like as in beer). Corn doesn't grow as well in our climate and why ship it if you can grow an alternative locally.

The spent distiller's grains can then be sold back as a livestock feed additive (it is grain after all).

Ethanol fermentation per se is about as clean a process as it gets. Convert the complex sugars in the grains to simple sugars yeasts can use. The conversion is done enzymatically. Novozymes in Franklinton, NC is a producer of such enzymes (and remember the President visited Novozymes last Spring).

You all just remember that it isn't a working man pushing this ethanol scheme.It's somebody with alot of mulah.Gasoline prices will not come down because of this and ethanol will be priced right up there with it.Among other things going up.You people are so gullable.Think about the consumer for once.The man and woman that works 40 a week just make ends meet.

Remember jfo,that the talks began long long before you heard about it.Now all is left is the process of getting it there.

jfo,

The 17% of water needed is just to start the dang thing up.What will they need if they doubled in size?17% doesn't sound like much unless you are in a drought and it doesn't need to be a big drought.Not enough water and not enough grain or what have you to make the ethanol.SO there goes a reason for raising the price.Then here comes the excuse that we don't have enough to produce ethanol so we have to import to make it.Again,we will be in the same situation as we are in with "Big Oil".Than "Big Oil" will merge with the ethanol companies.And guess what?"Big Oil" has us by the gonads again.So explain in your opinion how the consumer can even come close to coming out ahead.

Just remember when one company merges with another and talks about all the pros verses cons,it's all hogwash.Because the competition is gone and the monopoly has began.

I think everyone affected by anything that may effect the enviroment needs to know all the answers to their questions before any plant is built in their area or downstream from it.

A technical point, I did say 17% which was the 150million gallons per day if it were taken from the Staunton. Ashman then supplied us with the data that boydton's water (which we think would supply the plant) sources from Gaston so the concern became a function of water across the Kerr dam rather than of the Staunton flow. The point about expansion and drought years is absolutely, 100% valid. In the Virginia Drought Assessment Response Plan a drought warning is raised at 6ft under Kerr guide and an emergency is raised at 288. In a emergency, users of more than 10k gal per day have to follow a "drought water plan" which I assume is drawn up in advance. I am intereseted in this plan and I would assume the COE would influence that plan as well. I'm eager to see what the COE says the influence of 150m gals/day will be in a drought year but I've not seen the plant's emergency drought water plan so I cannot say if its any impact at all. It seems to me a lot but people I'm asking are mixed with some smart-folk saying 150gal/day isn't a biggie at all...jfo

I don't know about you all.But i'd rather send my money over seas and let them wreck their own country rather than us wrecking ours.It's been proven time and time again that foreign oil isn't that critical.It's the politcs that is in place.Which is it?Oil prices are too high?Can't refine enough?What's the difference between a foreign country screwing us and our own people screwing us?In the end,we are getting screwed.It is my belief that "Big Oil" has a big hand in this ethanol.If they didn't they would shut it down.Take a real notice that gas prices really didn't start really rise until those credit card slots were available at the pumps.

When this ethanol gets to going good,just watch and see if "Big Oil" merges with it.Then there goes all the wonderfull ideas and the compitetion that taxpayers helped to create.

Here's a nice description of the process.

http://www.ethanol.org/index.php?id=73&parentid=73

Note: this is from the American Coalition for Ethanol, an ethanol proponent.

jfo, Thank you guys for a very informative discussion dealing with the pros and cons of this plant being built. I like to stay informed.
Buggmanchild, You are an imbecile. Once again you are ranting ignorantly. This discussion was about the direct effect of the proposed plant to the surrounding community, not about ethanol replacing gas. But since you insist. Ethanol makes up 10% of the gasoline we buy today. Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) has been used for years as a gasoline additive to make fuel burn cleaner. It was replaced last year by ethanol for environmental reasons. I do not believe ethanol will replace gas, but we will be using ethanol for some time to come as an additive.

I went this morning to the Mecklenburg Counrty Supervisors meeting and then this afternoon to the Chase City meeting where Osage energy presented the plan for a "proposed" ethanol plant. I will list several areas below as updates based on new inputs, research and some errors in assumptions and so on:

- Water input. The Water is requested at 1.5 Million gallons per day. 1.5 Million gallons per day is less than 1% of the staunton flow at 832 (math error above) and it is less than 1 1/100th a percent of the water over the dam...its not going to affect lake levels in a major way even in a drought year. The 1.5M is part of 4.18M allocation already in the Roanoke River Service Authority's (RRSA) water production so its already in the COE plan (I'm doublechecking that). Water flow would be from Gaston via Boydton to Chase City. The pipeline project to service the need is planned to cost 3.6M dollars total per county statement. There are already 1.5M and 1.0M grants requested via EDA and Tobacco Commission respectively with county staff "looking all over" to find the rest of the money should the project move forward. So, the amount of water used by the plant does not appear to me to be an issue, we'll monitor the infrastructure funding process.

- Water output, sewage. Osage stated bluntly and clearly three times that water output from the ethanol process would always divert back into the ethanol manufacturing process. The proposed plant would be have zero effluent from production. Sewage from offices, restrooms and so on would go to Chase City Waste Treatment. So I do not have an issue with wastewater pollution if the givens are held and true.

- Air emmissions. This is my biggest concern due mostly to smells and the smells impact on our lake. Firstly, the Osage team confirmed that thermal oxidizers would be used. My study generally says that when these are employed that the larger of smell offense is removed as, btw, are most cancer causing agents (keep-it-simple's point). So, if this is held and true, I would not have an issue. Note that a local bufferzone on the property is present but at the end some of the local residents are less than a mile from the plant. Downwind folks chould monitor this closely IMHO. Were I to have one silver bullet on this project I would use it here to ask that they adhere to more stringent EPA guidelines (generally for plants emitting over 250tons of gunk per year). This would be voulentary on their part since their estimate of 40-60 tons puts them in a fairly slack regulatory environment. The clean-air act was just relaxed in this area in the last weeks.

- Traffic Patterns. They will use their own truck fleet to transport the product. As such local storage will be less than if RR was used. They stated bluntly today that they plan to widen 92 at Osage expense but even with that comment that traffic flow, hours and so on were not worked out. At a questioners request, they agreed that traffic flow would be worked out to local government satisfaction.

- The CEO stated that Osage had not been offered any tax abatements.

- Fire and Emergency. Here the statements were that they would work with local fire depts to co-operate on a plan acceptable to them. Further, that this Osage would provide training accordingly. I do see this as a risk area. A comprehensive plan for capital equipment and training must go in up-front. I entered into the minutes today at MK BOS that I looked for this plan to be up-front and that I did not want to be paying for extra fire-fighting gear etc with higher taxes (But of course I want our firefighters to have the right gear). The downwind danger zone is currently defined as 800meters or 1mile (my notes let me down). Either way, with the toxics in this puppy I see this as pretty short. But I'm not educated on this so I think it'd pay downwind folks and firefighter first-responders within 50 mile radius to go to school on case-histories of ethanol fires, evacuations etc.

- Noise and nightglow were discussed in the public meeting with the property bufferzones anticipated to totally solve. As a cat-man I can tell you that night glow goes for tens of miles in overcast. This is an issue for local residents to attack if they object. Regarding noise, the company stated clearly that the tanker trucks are noisy as they move around.

- The company stated that there would be no feed-lot co-located on the property. The plant is designed to use barley, corn and some other grown stuff but barley is the most of the discussion.

- Osage said they would hire locally wherever possible. I know from experience that some jobs will have to be sourced outside due to expertise.

- Plant manager and key executives will be required to live very near the site or in Chase City. Some discussion of a house on the property being the plant manager house.

- Plant would run 50 weeks, 24/7.

- Plant location by rail (for barley when local production not adequate) and pipeline (for gas when other fuels not available).

- CEO stated that the business case on this plant was effective without subsidies (there are subsidies now) and down to oil in mid $20's. This to answer a concern about abandonment.

- I asked Meck BOS to ensure VDGIF, VDEQ, & COE were involved to keep the ecosystem health in mind but the answers above, if held and true, would result in minimal impact to Kerr's water IMHO.

So at the end, I learned a lot. Maybe my conclusion is wrong. I feel for the closeby residents but I am not against this plant based on the facts I see. I'm sure there's a lot I don't see, and I think the fire/emergency and evac plan and the air emmissions are to be watched closely but I can't say I'm against this plant. It'll make a few jobs, it'll put some NC/VA acreage into winter crops, it'll make some taxes (and likely raise mine), and it'll reduce our dependence on foreign oil by some very small amount. I can't be for it until we sniff it but today I can't put myself against it either. This is my 2 cents on this unless someone has a specific question I might know from being at the meetings.

From an angler point of view, the water questions are pretty much put to bed IMHO. That comment added to make this last part about fishing jfo

LittleLowe,

Call me what you will.I have stated the impact it will have on the surrounding areas.Do some reading will ya.You mentioned the additives in gas already and that just proves my point even more.It hasn't held down the prices yet.But again i say,those credit card slots at the pump sure didn't help matters any.But don't worry,there will be ethanol pumps with those slots.

Whether the water is drawn straight from the Roanoke River or not,it still has an impact on all rivers feeding Buggs.

Hows the fish biting?

Very nice summary jfo. Thanks.

One point about the 800 meters --it is ~1/2 mile and was said to be the minimum required. In all cases, the the minimum was exceeded (I think the closest to any of the was > 1 mile, but my notes may have failed me.)

I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Richter and Mr. Spruill after the meeting. One potential by-product that was not addressed was spent yeast. I asked about this and there is the potential for this to be a usable by-product. Yeast extract is a component of microbiological media -- think when you have a swab of your throat and it is streaked on a plate. It is also sold in health food stores --loaded with B vitamins. And those crazy Aussies salt it down and turn it into vegi-mite.

All in all I thought it very informative and the Osage folks gave a nice presentation. Kudos to the BOS for holding this meeting (I'm sure there will be others).

I was leaning in favor going to this meeting, and nothing changed my point of view.

And as far as 'Big Oil', the CEO or VP ( I forget which) stated the plant would be profitable to $20/ barrel of oil. I don't think we'll see $20/ barrel any time soon.

To make it a fishing report, skunked over the 12' brush pile the last two nights.

Roe

we can import ethanol cheaper than we can make it if we reduce the tariffs on Brazilian ethanol. That would solve the problem right there and give us time to ramp up our own production. I would much rather be dependent on Brazil and supplement with our own oil than depending on people who want to eliminate our country

great job joe thanks for the info. I had been hearing alot of do's and don'ts and this help me alot.

If you have concerns about the drawing of water from the lake or river, by all means contact DEQ and request the guidelines on how governments and business get permits for drawing water and what the restrictions on how much can be drawn. There is restrictions for permits.

If you are really concerned....read up on storm drains!! It will be an eye opener! More hazardous waste, chemicals, etc are washed into our water ways via the storm drains than any other process.
Your vehicle dripping oil on the street......guess where it goes, straight into our rivers. Fertilizer for your lawn...goes right into the river/waterway. Storm drains DO NOT get processed at sewer/water reclamation plants.

http://protectingwater.com/storm-drains.html

Also, consider this when you want something produced in another country instead of in our own back yard. How many third world countries have guidelines like we do? DEQ, EPA, DENR & WEF I'd rather have it here and be able to monitor it then not know what is getting dumped into our water source on the other side of the planet!! It's a major problem these days with importing all of our goods, you may think it's saving our country but it's not. If you doubt what I say, take a trip to some of these third world countries and see what regulations they have on air and water discharge.

VA DEQ http://www.deq.state.va.us/
NC DENR http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/
US WEF http://www.wef.org/Home
US EPA http://www.epa.gov/ow/laws.html

There are people out there that care about our water, I know...I work at a water reclamation facility here in VA and I'm concerned with it every day. We try to be on the leading edge to produce the best discharge water we can before we put it back into the James River.

Osage's promise not to put a feedlot on the site means nothing. Osage wants to make ethanol, they won't be the ones running a feedlot. Somebody could put one across the street, or miles away. Megafarms show up just about everywhere ethanol plants go, so the question is, what will the runoff from one of these operations do to the lake?

BP Petroleum sure pushing for people to use ethanol.I wonder why in the world would a petroleum producing outfit be so involved with ethanol?How many screwings to the people would this make?