This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hook size

Hi all,

Sunday we are leaving for the lake for a week. I appreciate all of the information I have been given thus far as for how to target fish. One more ? now though. I want to take my oldest two kids out a few times close to shore to just catch some fish. I plan on getting some minnows, wigglers and nightcrawlers. Should I just stick with a size 4 j-hook for this and be fine with all types or should I use different size hooks on different baits. I am hoping they can catch a wide variety of fish, but they will be happy with any action they get. I will try and post some pics when we get back. Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Re: hook size

J, Hit the coves, off the main lake back where its quiet. Almost any cove will do. Drop a bait worm to the bottom, as soon as it hits you will most likely have a bite. The best way is to rig is lead on the bottom, come up 6in. have a hook, come up another 6in another hook, Basically a pier fishing rig, Keep you water depth from 12 to 20 ft. Drop lead to the bottom reel up 1/2 turn. I have one son 6 and one 12 I chase rockfish almost every day in summer and cats in the winter. The size dont matter to kids as long as their catching fish. Most coves have boat docks you can throw bass plugs around. The first perch you catch cut him up for bait. You want have to rebait for a while. One trip they will be hooked, Try acouple coves if you have to.

P.S. I use #8 eagle claw hooks for perch., But if you wanted to rig a bigger hook up top you could catch a Nice channel or a blue cat. I know my brothers little boy caught a 12lb blue two weeks ago on a perch rig. Good luck!!

Re: Re: hook size

Keith is right about hook size and location. Also, you may want to carry a slip cork rig or two. When you catch a perch hook him on the the cork rig. Throw toward the middle of the cove. If there are any blue cats or channels cruising the area they will nail it. Kinda like noodle fishing but using a rod and reel. I have been using bream on my noodles and slip cork rigs. Good luck and hope your kids catch a bunch. Also, if possible go by one of those stores that sells old bread. Take the bread and break it up.
Scatter across the water. Thats one way of chummin up the perch.

Bo

Bo, check email.

Re: Re: hook size

No, the bream and perch are
dead and cut in filets. I
also use a hook and line to
catch them, no throw net.
Shad have been tough unless
you go real early in the morn-
ing. Tight lines and thanks
for the email.