Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cheaters

Cheating in fishing tournaments made the national news last night. Story link is below.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/04/eveningnews/main3016169.shtml

Re: Cheaters

The tournaments I was involved with we used Lie-detectors for the top 10 places. If the detector comes back positive, you are disqualified and banned from any future tournaments we put on plus we send this person's information to a number of other tournament organizers also.
Cheating goes along with stealing...both are wrong and the guilty ones should be shot. Period. A little more firm action against these people would slow a lot of crime down.

River Lizard, I agree with you 100% except I voice one caution. I was a deputy for 26 years and I have seen lie detectors not be accurate. Its no better than the operator and to publicly call someone a liar and a theif could be tragic for both sides. No one likes a cheater.Police only use them as a tool, and no more.

I understand where you're coming from but it was listed in the application for the tournament that each place was required to pass the detector regardless, if they failed it, they would be disqualified. We hired a professional business to give the test. Anyone coming back positive got a second test done.
Out of all the tournaments I was involved with, we only had 1 guy come back positive. He hired a lake guide 2 days before the tournament which was against the rules. No guide use for 1 week before the tournament begins. He lost out of $2,500.00 and a bunch of prizes too.

I think that cheating is just as bad as taking fish home to eat. They must be stopped. BH

Tournament rules are like laws and locks.They are for only for the honest people.I don't believe in the detector,there are ways to cheat on that also.It's hard to beat a cheater,unless you become one yourself.

There is no degree of lies, your either lieing or tell the truth. The problem comes from what is going on inside the person when he is being tested. If the test is givin by a professional examiner and done correctly and the fisherman went into this knowing about the test and he fails he is screwed. Its the part about publicly bringing him down that would worry me because of the inconsistantcy of the test. I have seen a number of them show inconclusive. I think the test is good,it does keep the honest man honest,,but a azzhole is still a azzhole and in time you don't need a test to tell it. Its a shame we even have to have this discussion.

So why isn't their a push for detector test being giving on a State and National level as for "Records" are concerned.A picture doesn't prove that the fish was caught in the waters that it was said to be caught in.

Since some trust detectors so much.Let's give one to all State Record holders.Let it be known was it a he or she that actually caught those fish.For example,was the State Record for the blue cat caught by a man or woman?Was this and all Records really caught in the waters that was said they were?Were the fish really caught the way that was said they were?There are alot of unanswered questions when it comes to these catches.Believe it or not,pictures don't tell all the facts.

BuggsMan's last post got me to wondering. In dealing with a state record, persay on Buggs. If I launched from a NC ramp and crossed into VA and caught a record fish ( not that would ever happen to me ) is that a NC or VA record. I don't know how boundaries on water work.
Jeremy

Buggsman, I agree with you. I bet if they were all tested fairly they would probably not lie infear of losing a record catch. If they fail the test then the record catch should not count,but because of the margin for error in the test we should not go shouting to everyone "liar liar pants on fire" because they could be telling the truth. I think if we make a mistake in testing it should be a honest one and not leave outselves open to a civil action. What if after they failed one test,then went to another and past that test? Lawyers do this all the time.

As stated before the threat or use of a lie dectector is to hopefully make someone think twice prior to cheating. Lie detectors can be fooled, most of the military special forces, CIA, and others that are invovled in high risk operations are taught when captured to lie regarding thier purpose and mission along with how to appear to be telling the truth on lie detector test results.

In my opinion someone whom cheats is also cheating in other areas of thier lives and sooner or later will be caught in one form of the cheating and ruin thier lives.

Jeremyt,

From what I understand, if you catch a record on Buggs, it's determined by the ramp you launch from, not where your fishing. doesnt make much sense to me, but thats what i've been told. Ask JFO, Im sure he knows for sure.
Mike

Its the location the fish is caught. Launch ramp and angler license state or home are irrellevant...jfo