Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BASS REPORT - 7/3/07

Went out Tuesday from 5pm until around 10:30 pm. Caught 8 bass, biggest being around 3.5 lbs. Caught all the fish in water that was at least 16 feet deep. Lures were 3/16 oz shakey heads with BERKLEY 5" shakey head worms, Ol Monster Black Grape, and my old stand by, the 4" grub on a 1/8 oz jig head. Decent trip, but have not really had any big fish the last 2 or 3 trips out. Surpirsingly few boats on the water for sure. Thought it would be crazy, as it was the day before the 4th, but it was not crowded at all out there. Heading to the James for smallmouth tomorrow.

Toby

Re: BASS REPORT - 7/3/07

Toby,
Do you work??? LOL Congrats on the fish. What was the water temp if you dont mind me asking?

82 degrees!! yes I do work and work too much actually!! I am fortunate that I can leave work, unload the boat and be fishing in about 20 minutes. Also, my wife is in education and has this month off entirely, so I have been getting a few "freebies" lately in regards to fishing days.

Toby

Toby,

Where do you fish for smallmouth on the James? Interested in trying for some smallmouth there myself but I don't know the area. Any help on locations to launch would be a big help. I have a Jet boat so shallow water is not a problem.

Roy,
I typically fish for them from Galts Mill to Bent Creek. If you have a jet boat, I would recommend going to Bent Creek where there is a nice concrete landing. From there you can go either up river or down river. This last trip, Fri-Sat-Sun, we caught about 150 smallmouth bass and a few largemouth as well. Biggest smallies were around 15-16". Not sure where you are leaving from, but if you go from Clarksville, just go 360 to Keysville and get on 15, take 15 to Farmville and get on 460 West. About 20 miles on 460, you will see the exit for Bent Creek (Rt. #26). Good luck to you and if you go, make sure you take some Green Pumpkin 4" grubs and put them on 1/8 ounce jigheads. Cast them out and retrieve them quickly!!

Toby

Toby,

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Frederick, MD and fish the Upper Potomac and Susquehanna River in PA with my jet boat. Saw your post about the smallies in the James and was hoping you would reply. Your directions seem very good, sure I won't have any trouble locating the ramp. Always carry 1/8 oz. jigheads and greenpumpkin grubs. Looking forward to trying the James. Enjoy reading your posts on LMB at Kerr. Finally got a place near the Lake, just don't get to fish as much as I'd like, but in a few more years hope to move down permanent. Love to hook up with you some time and spend a day on the water.

Toby,

Forgot to ask, where did you guys stay when you were at Bent Creek? Are there any motels close by that you recommend that have a place for you to plug in and charge your boat batteries?

Roy

Roy,
We actually meet at Bent Creek and leave a car there. From there, we go up about 15 miles to a place called Galts Mill. Usually make the float in a canoe or a raft that I have. We go on Friday and float 5 miles and camp riverside Friday and Sat night. Usually catch some sunfish / brim during the day and catfish at night. I have never seen any hotels near Bent Creek, but I am certain there are some campgrounds somewhere close.

Toby

Toby,

Thanks for the info. The float trip sounds like a good way to spend a few days. I also have a canoe so I may have to consider that possibility as well. Sounds like something I would throughly enjoy although I'm not sure anyone else in my Club would want to do it. May have to put that on my list of things to do for the fall when it is cooler to camp.

Roy