Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
trolling for perch/ & CATFISH

...another great day to be alive! Started off at IC and trolled to find large concentrations of White Perch. Caught around 25 big perch and probably twice that of smaller perch. Didn't have a lot of luck dropping down cutbait and worms (catching mostly smaller ones this way today) - catching almost all of the large ones trolling. The guy I was fishing with don't get to fish often so we started trolling for catfish and caught at least 20 that went from just over 2 pounds to just over 22 pounds. This included blue channel, green channel and the blue arkansas (most were the ark.blues) lost another one that looked to weigh in the low 20's. Of the 20+ cats 18 were caught on silver spoonplugs and the others (including the 22 pounder) were caught on chartreuse roostertails. All were caught on the big side of the island fishing about 14 feet deep in water that ranged from 9 feet to 28 feet deep. The biggun that got off at the boat was caught while plowing the bottom in 9 feet of water. Also caught several largemouth bass and a few white bass and 1 crappie - all fishing the exact same way.

Re: trolling for perch/ & CATFISH

So those spoonplugs are the real deal huh? Does bobcats carry them? After getting my boat up and running again and seeing reports like this I am getting a hankering to go fishing.

I have trolled in the past using bombers and rooster tails. Do you do the same thing but just use the spoonplugs to get the rooster tail down?

Thanks for the report I hope to get out there soon.

'Bucksbaits.com" is where I get mine, and I believe that Bass Pro carried them. The spoonplugs are just a tool to carry down the roostertail - but the vibration from the spoonplug may also help create a strike response. If you can't find spoonplugs - try another deep diver lure in chrome. Most of my hits yesterday were on silver with a chartreuse roostertail. Direction also is important - yesterday we caught only 3 catfish going against the water current (wind had it coming out of the west) and the rest were all caught either going with the wind or across wind from southeast to northwest. Targeting the cats and getting all the "what's workin' and what ain't" is still a work in progress but the day we had yesterday shows that it is a great way to catch them. We had blue channel, gren channel and the Arkansas so they all can be got this way. All were caught between 2.6 and 2.9 mph (mph was gps provided). If I can be of any more help - just holler. If i can't help ya I won't hurt cha'.

what size spoonplugs and roostertails do you normaly use.thought i might try this method on lake gaston

The depth you want to troll at determines the size of spoonplug you use. They are sold according to depth. As for the rooster tails we use 1/4 oz.

size 200 spoonplug is normally what I use. With powerpro (kevlar) 40 pound test (same diameter as 12 pound mono) I can work effectively from 12 to 16 feet or so . I normally let out 60 feet to work the lure at 12' and 80 feet to work around 15 feet. ... and as David said (above) 1/4 oz. roostertails. THe smaller roostertails will work fine - but they have the smaller hook and you'll miss a bunch of fish. I caught the 22 pounder on a roostertail Wednesday.

DRY2

Where do you buy your spoon plugs???

sometimes from "bucksbaits.com" other times - bass pro. Price is the same but you'll get faster service with bucksbaits.com

For this trolling are you using only the electric motor or can your outboard be used also?

Thanks DRY2; I'll try bucksbaits.com

you say you use the 200 series to runabout 12-15ft deep.at the bucksbaits web site it says the 200 runs 9-12ft and the 100 runs 12-15ft.i wanted to make sure before i make the order.thanks

I'm using Kevlar line - no stretch and no "bow" - so you'll gain a few feet in depth. If you're using thicker line (the powerpro #40 test I'm using is the same diameter as 12 pound test mono)then go for the larger sized spoonplug.
Also as for color - FISHDOC was using a mostly chartreuse spoonplug (had some red dots or scallop I believe) And I was using silver. After seeing that on this day "yellow" instead of chartreuse roostertails was working better that day. We started off with me using a chartreuse r/t and FD - yellow - he was having more steady strikes so I switched ove. Fishdoc and I both had better hits rearlier in the week on chartreuse, but you gotta go with what is working NOW instead of what worked best "then". The chartreuse and orangish or char/green R/T's have worked great on occasion as have the white with black dots. But in the dark green waters of the lower lake you have to adjust your colors with the latest whim (the fishes - not mine). THey do show a prefference that will sometimes change during the same day (sunny becomes overcast, etc.)
Also - as for the color on the spoonplug - I've played around using 3 trolling rods at once (keeps me busy) and when you find the color of Roostertail that they are hitting the color of the spoonplug don't seem to be quite as important. ...BUT - to get some doubles (catching on the spoonplug and RT at the same time (Fishdoc did this twice on Sunday)you have to nail 'em both and get the colors right.
I've caught more catfish on silver or chartreuse, white bass on red/white, white, or chartreuse, perch on chartreuse, yellow, chartreuse/orange pretty much in that order.

IF YOU DONT HAVE SPOONPLUGS DONT STAY HOME.
USE ANY BIG DEEP DIVIN PLUG. OLD BAGLEY "DREDGE"
WORKS FOR ME. IF YOU HAVE SOMTHING WITH A RATTLE
MORE THE BETTER. I NO EXPERT BUT SUR HAVIN FUN
WITH THIS. DONT FORGET SWIVEL IN CENTER OF LINE
TO ROOSTERTAIL. THANKS AGAIN TO YOU ALL - JUST
PASSIN ON WHAT I LEARNIN FROM YOU.

H20, we trollin with outboard. 2.4-2.8MPH(GPS)

Thanks for the info. I'm coming down the 24th-29th staying at Rudd's and when your in a non-electric site staying that long it sure helps on the batteries. I could fish all day throwing top water and plastic but the wife and kids get tired real fast in the heat. This would be something to try and since your moving maybe they would last a little longer without hearing "can you pulls us on the tube ect."
thanks again for all the info.

glad to help any way I can. Sorry I missed the question about speed, but I see that FISHDOC is alert and takin' care of bussiness - as usual.

So when you are using a plug and rooster tail you rig the the same as the spoonplug and rooster tail? It just seems like they will get tangled easy. I was wondering if you had tried tying the rooster tail to the back hook of the plug? Or would that get hung up too much?
Thanks for any info!

The average lure is marketed for 2- to 3-years. Yet, the productive Spoonplug has remained on the market for more than five decades.

Spoonplugs are bent pieces of metal looking like altered shoehorns that combine the diving abilities of a crank bait with the flash of a metal spoon. The Spoonplug uses different sizes to cover various depths, and is ideal when trolled.

The Spoonplug was invented in 1946 by Elwood L. "Buck" Perry, then a physics and math teacher in Hickory, N.C. Perry combined science with a logical approach to fishing to create a "total fishing system."

Fishing clubs such as the Wisconsin Fishing Club, Walleyes Unlimited and the Okauchee Fishing Club have long used Perry's techniques.

Known as the father of structure fishing, Perry was born July 10, 1915 and currently lives in Taylorville, N.C., with his wife of 25 years, Geraldine.

Perry's father, Robert, was an avid angler, and soon his son got the same fever. While fishing toward shore, as was the custom, with his dad in March of 1928, Perry proclaimed that deep water was the home of big fish.

"We're not only fishing wrong, we're fishing in the wrong place," he said.

These were obscure thoughts, and his dad threatened to throw him in the lake if he didn't stop making crazy statements.

Perry spent many hours studying where fish were and were not. He began learning how fish move from deep-water sanctuaries into shallow water.

After studying science, math, physics and chemistry and graduating from Lenoir College in Hickory, N.C., Buck went to North Carolina State University for graduate work.

In World War II, Perry served as an Army Lieutenant Colonel in Europe. Returning home in 1946, he spent his life teaching fishing. He studied fish schooling, locations, the weather, depths, water colors and formulated what is called structure fishing.

The Spoonplug is born

Perry wanted a lure that dived to a fixed depth and maintained that depth at any trolling speed. He spent hours with a tin snips, a pair of pliers, and flat pieces of metal to design a combination spoon and a diving plug. This was the birth of the Spoonplug.

Before locators were available, Perry used hydrographic maps to find likely fish holding locations, and he used Spoonplugs to locate structure and eliminate unproductive water.

When Spoonplugging, anglers troll shallow to deep in search of active fish. They learn about changes in depth called break lines - plus water clarity, structure, and deep water and its sanctuary. The goal is for fishermen to look at a body of water and have a firm understanding of how to start fishing.

With a good map and an electric locator, anglers can find underwater points, submerged islands, inside turns and where bottom makeup changes.

Next, focus on water that attracts fish.

Start looking for active fish in single-digit depths. Troll with the smallest Spoonplug, size 500, which runs 2- to 4-feet down and use a stiff fishing rod. Perry liked the 5-foot length.

Helpful hints

In shallow water, if you snag weeds, jerk the rod tip to remove the plants. Have your Spoonplug run barely above the weeds and along the weed lines. If the Spoonplug stops wobbling, suspect snagged weeds. Set the hook in case a fish has grabbed the bait while swimming toward you.

Where weeds aren't thick, bouncing the lure on the bottom attracts fish with sound, vibration, erratic action and puffs of silt.

Should no strikes occur, move deeper and try a larger Spoonplug. The size 400 runs 4- to 6-feet deep, size 250 runs 6- to 9-feet deep, size 200 trolls at 14- to 15-feet and sizes 700 and 800 run at 25 feet deep.

Once a fish strikes, gently lower your anchor in the vicinity of the action. Spoonplugs are ideal for casting. Toss to the feeding school.

Use a non-stretch line, such as Fireline, Spider Wire or Perry's No-Bo. You'll feel the lure and the strikes.

Perry's book, "Spoonplugging - Your Guide To Lunker Catches," costs $17.95 and can be ordered from his web site, http://www.buckperry.com .Found this and thought it would help some.Thanks for all the good infromation you guys put on here.DRY and FD for sure.

Buck Perry of course is deceased. BH

NOpe they won't tangle for several reasons "unless" something attacks the spoonplug, doesn't get hooked in the process and causes the spoonplug to turn over. Remember - the spoonplug is ht ediver- pulling the R/t (tiredof typing spoonplug and roostertail!!!) down as it goes. The r/t is about a foot shallower and 2 feet or so behind the s/p. Putting a double barrel swivel (the smaller the better) in line half way between the R/T and the three way helps prevent line twist.
Also _ REMEMBER - Like Buck Perry himself said - the S/P is only a tool, and other lures will work. It's just that for trolling the S/P was so well designed, runs true, hard to foul ... it's a dang good tool. I've used Bandits, model A's, Baby brush busters - all did well, and caught fish - but the S/P was easier to chart for depth control and had the greatest controll when worked at various speeds from 2 mph to over 5 MPH. That's a little extreme to work, but still fairly slow for a fish such as a striper or most others.. If I can confuse you any further - just holler.