Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stripers

Can anyone help me with some info on the rockfish.I've been on the water three times in the last two weeks and have had bad trips.We have been using live shad and bucktails.We have been fishing sixty feet fifty feet forty feet thirty feet and have done nothing.I don't know what is wrong.We have been all in Nutbush where everyone says they are.we have been seeing other people catch a few around in the same area.We normally don't have this problem in winter but we struggle like hell in the summer.We have been rigging three way swivel with a four ounce sinker on the bottom and a twenty inch liter with a shiner hook.I really beleive that we have not found any fish.Any info greatly appreciated.Thanks.Come on winter time!

Re: stripers

Although there evidently are striper in Nutbush, there are evidently a lot more up by the dam.

Keep your radio on 68 and join the fleet, could be anywhere from Clarksville to the dam, but the bunch I am usually mixed up in are more in the Rockwall/Striper City to the Dam area. So far, all of the striper I have caught in the lake (which is not many at all - four keepers since Jan and a 25" in Dec) have come from the area between the tip of Keats point and the east channel edge at the dam. Marked plenty in Striper City, but so far no luck there for me.

Looks like the fish are now between 25' and 40' down when they are being caught, and water anywhere from 40' - 100' deep. Seems like they are orienting on channel edges and drop off areas. Hope this helps a bit.

WAR EAGLE, YOU DIDN'T SAY IF YOU ARE TROLLING ON JUST DOWNLINING. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, IF YOU ARE TROLLING, YOUR LEADER IS NOT LONG ENOUGH. I USE 3 WAY SWIVELS ALL THE TIME. I DON'T USE LEAD. JUST BIGGER BUCKTAILS. I HAVE 2 BAITS PER ROD. THE FIRST LEADER IS ABOUT 6' LONG. THE SECOND LEADER IS 8 TO 9 FEET LONG. THE 6' LEADER HAS THE BIGGER BAIT.(2 TO 4 OZ.) AND THE LONGER LEADER HAS A SMALLER BAIT. JUST REMEMBER, AGAIN MY HUMBLE OPINION, THE BIGGER FISH ARE LAZY, JUST LIKE ME. WHEN THE SMALLER FISH ARE RUNNING AND TEARING THE BAIT UP, THE BIGGER FISH ARE BELOW SUCKING UP THE CRUMBS. JUST LIKE THE YOUNG BULL AND THE OLD BULL. THE YOUNG ONE SAYS THE THE OLDER BULL, LETS RUN DOWN AND GET US ONE OF THOSE COWS. THE OLD BULL SAYS LETS WALK DOWN AND GET THEM ALL. SETTER

Thanks for the info scott and setter.We have been drifting the live shad.And setter on the three way swivel deal we have tried that but every time we start moving the lines want to come up real bad even with great big bucktails.We Can't seem to keep it down doing that.We have also had a hard time keeping the shad alive to we got the water temp right with shad keeper and aerobaits in the tank.Didn't have this problem at jordan three weeks ago.It's just an off year for us.Thanks again guys.

Re: Re: stripers

I have not had a problem keeping shad alive. Use a container of table salt, I think thats a pound. Use a cap full of better bait or shad keeper. Cull your bait before putting it into the tank. I generally dump mine straight in. I just clean the filter out a couple of times to help get the water clear. Also use foam off. If you can't find foam off use coffee creamer. Don't add the ice until you have gotten all your bait. Add a half bag at a time for optimum results. I just dump a bag in. Check your filter more often and also make sure the tank is clean. Take a pressure nozzle and clean the scale which builds up on the pipes in your tanks. You probably know this info but in case thought I would help out.

Also what pound test are using? I am using primarily 10 lb vanish line. I use as small a hook as possibe due to water clarity. Right now #2 and #4 hooks are the one of choice. Believe me, a small hook will hold more than you think.

Good luck! Bo

We have been using 15lb big game with 3/0 shiner hooks.I do beileive the smaller stuff does work better in clear water.How much coffee creamer would you put in a 8 gallon tank and salt.Thank you Bo!Going to give it another try next Wed.

You want to go catch a rockfish. I'll help. email me

Re: Re: stripers

War Eagle, if your tank is 8 gallons just a tablespoon should be a plenty. Yes, small terminal tackle does work best in clear water.

Bo