Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting down to the fish

I'm not really sure I want to go the downrigger route to get at the striper and deeper cats/bass for trolling right away.

So far it looks like crank baits running 15 feet or so deep work well in the winter, and it looks like most of the rest of the trolling fleet is running their down riggers no deeper than 35' so far this spring/summer.

Do the fish ever get so much deeper than that that I would need a method of running baits 35-100' deep on the lake, or could I do well with either leadcore, dipsy divers, walleye diving plugs, or even the tried and true heavy chunks of lead off three way swivels?

Basically, you can buy a lot of leadcore, lead, divers, and plugs for the cost of a decent set of downriggers and all their accessories, and I would prefer not to spend $400 to $1000 for two downriggers for the boat.

If I did get down riggers, what brands do you like? Looks like I can get Cannon, Penn, and Scotty online, and maybe one more brand that looks a little more specialized. Probably just looking manual type, but would need a strong rod holder and prefer something that would not fall apart the first year if I did make the investment.

Re: Getting down to the fish

SCOTT, FOR SOME REASON, THE FISH ARE DEEPER THIS YEAR THAN PAST YEARS. I PULL 4 DOWNRIGGERS AND 2 OR 4 LEAD CORE WHEN I TROLL FOR STRIPERS. LAST WEEK, MOST FISH I CAUGHT WERE ON 1 ROD SET AT 36 FEET WITH 25 YARDS OF LEADER FROM THE DOWNRIGGER BALL. ON LEADCORE, I'M USING A TRI SWIVEL. THE 1ST BAIT IS USUALLY 2 TO 3 OZ. AND THE 2ND BAIT IS ABOUT AN OZ. WITH A GREEN WORM AS A TRAILER.DURING THE WINTER MONTHS, I USE REDFINS. I'VE NOT HAD MUCH LUCK USING THEM IN THE SUMMER. DON'T KNOW WHAT THE STRIPERS THINK A WHITE BUCKTAIL IS BUT THE REALLY LIKE IT. THE FIRST DOWNRIGGERS I HAD WERE PENNS. THEY WORKED FINE. NOW I'VE GOT CANNON DOWNRIGGERS AND I LIKE THEM BETTER.
THE PENNS I HAD WERE GOOD AND LASTED FOR ABOUT 6 YRS, UNTIL I SOLD MY BOAT. THE FIRST SET OF CANNONS LASTED 19 YRS. AND CANNON GAVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON THE DIGITROL LIKE I HAD. MINE ARE PROGRAMMABLE.HOPE THIS HELPS. SETTER

Scott, I have Scotty Electric 1116 pro-packs. I Am in the process of getting them rigged up this week. Just got them as a gift from the love of my life. They have a Lifetime warranty and seem to be as good as any other. These also came with swivel mounts, dual rod holders, Stackers, regular releases and very good instructions. they arrived via UPS in about three days with shipping at just $5.95 from Amazon.com. If you havent bought any by the time I get out on the lake and test these I will let you know how I like them

Scott, I do not have downriggers But I have been using Sea striker down planers, I have a couple diff. sizes and they seem to work well. I brought my oldest daughter down Monday and we caught a couple stripers and some really nice largemouth trolling with the sea strikers and Calcutta swim baits(flo. green) 25-35ft They take your baits down to whatever depth you want, depending on size of planer, when the fish hits, it changes the planer angle and brings it close to the surface. I really enjoy the trolling for a change of pace. I love my catfish but these stripers are mighty addictive. Good luck.......Bluejay

Heavy line and weight of a cleat to depth you want and the use a paperclip and small rubberband to attach you line to weight,you can let as much line out as you want to put bait behind the boat,when fish hits he pulls the small rubbberband free and you just fight the fish.

I've heard of the "poor man's downrigger" method with either a heavy weight of a big planer, may give it a shot.

As for the Sea Strikers, I have used the #1 planer a lot, but with the 30lb mono I am using, I don't think I am getting much depth out of them, even with 80-100' of line out I suspect they are still in the 15-20' zone (since they are not hitting bottom when some of my other rigs are that I know the depth of). What size are you using to get deeper? Can you run double bucktails off them without tripping them?

Scott, Try the #2 sea striker. I don't run doubles off this but I will pick up a few on crome redfins, 1oz road runner W/trailer, and mostly swim baits(calcutta). Long leader. I use trollin weights as much as anything and just keep up with how much line I need to let out. I tried a daisy chain and swim bait combo the other day and had alot a hits but could not hook up. They tore the tail off the swim bait. They were probably hitting at the flash on the blades. We came back to the same place after dark put out some lights caught several nice white perch and crappie. Good luck...Bluejay

RETNAVYENCM, let us know how those Scotty downriggers do for you. I have been looking at some Cannon downriggers, have not yet made a buying decision. Thanks, BB1

send me your e-mail address and I will give you a brief on the scotty down riggers