Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gill Nets

What are the regs for gill nets in non-VMRC regulated waters? Are they even legal? If somebody can point me in the right direction for regulations and application information, I would appreciate it. All the VMRC info for rec gill nets seems to only apply to tidal waters. Can't find anything on the VDGIF site.

FYI...this is for catching shad for bait.

Thanks.

Re: Gill Nets

I have only heard of them used in the James for catching shad. You also have to have the proper permits. Somewhere near Richmond, the James becomes tidal waters, maybe someone could help you more with this? They are very illegal in inland lakes!

Jurisdictional control is the MRC for tidal waters and VDGIF for inland waters. Gill nets are illegal including those for catching shad for bait in all inland waters. In Tidal waters, an agreement was reached early this year between the VMRC and VDGIF that allows recreational gill nets for catching shad for bait. If you need to know more about the tidal water regs, let me know but rec gill nets are illegal in all inland waters under VDGIF authority....jfo

Hey Linesider...the line between inland and tidal is the "fall line". The "fall line" is the line where tidal influence is no longer present. In Richmond you are right....its right downtown, there you can see the "fall" on the rocks. Kerr has several Dams between its water and tidal influence so its for above the fall line....there's the trivia for the day...jfo

Thanks guys. I kind of suspected that. I do most of my fishing in the tidal James. Just ordered a gill net and will be going to Chesterfield to pick up a license in a few days.

Was hoping I could bring it to Kerr as well, but I will have to stick to my cast net for those trips.

Thanks again!