Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gaston Stripers

Me and Dad went this morning along with some friends in a second boat downto Gaston. Put in at the ramp on RT 1. Went up. Other boat had some top water action and cought a few, but no keepers. I cought a few LMB on small swim baits. The other boat got a couple of good LMB on spinners just hitting the hydrilla. Headed up to SML after work tomorrow for the 4th. Hope to maybe troll for Stripers near the dam early on, any other suggestions for SML? Never really fished up there.

Re: Gaston Stripers

4th @ SML? hehehehehhe Nuttin any finer my friend. Waterturds, 100K+ Cruisers rolling 4 footers bank to bank, Houseboats and the runabouts manned by twice a year visitors zigzagging in and out thru all this mess, and ahhhhh the Wakeboard boats...my personal favorites. They always seem to bank those water filled ballasts at just the right moment. I'm going, but you can bet yur **** I'll be on the trailer by 9:30AM!!!!!

SML has a website for fishing www.virginiafishin.com Is the link I think

You are a glutten for punishment my friend! Unless you're fishing in the dead of night - and then you'll probably have some hung-over company.
Good luck to ya.

Well, we went, cousin has a place up there we can stay at and dock, so not to bad. Went early on the 4th. Trolled for a few hours, no luck. Talking with a guy at the marina, said topwater at dusk seems to be working for stripers. Got invited to go back up in OCT, so maybe less of those show boats. Yeah, if you are not off the water by about 11, all the crazies come out to pull kids around on tubes with jetskies wizzing by. If no one was killed in that mess it amazes me. Hope to head to Gaston on Saturday and try for Walleye below the dam.

I caught an 8 pound Striper on Gaston yesterday around 10am with boats and jet ski's flying right by my bobbers. We were drifting slip bobbers all the way across the lake set around 12ft deep with Bream and White Perch, had some more big runs, but we missed the fish, except around 10:30am I got a 10 pound Blue cat, and then we called it quits though.

I actually stopped fishing Gaston one time for several years because of the rec traffic in summer. But now I believe the fish have adjusted to it all and I'm not sure it doesn't make the bite better. I'm talking about bass and small stripers. Don't know about cats though. But the cat fishing is great at nite for sure. Chris

Yeah, I believe the fishing is actually a little better with the bad boat traffic, sounds crazy I know, but it's starting to seem that way!

I know people that beat the bottom of boat with oar when it gets slow. They also slap the water with the oar as well to simulate feeding. I try to stay as quiet as possible myself.