Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BASS REPORT - 7/1/07

Fished from 5:30 am until noon Sunday. Caught 7 bass, all on underwater humps and rocky ledges. Lures that took fish were 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits, Carolina rigged finesse worms, and shakey heads. Six were keepers with the biggest being only around 3 lbs. Bite was slow for us, but due to the wind, I am sure we missed our fair share of bites. Thought it was going to be perfect out. Posted up on my first hole and got blown off of it twice!! That wind was whipping....

TOBY

Re: BASS REPORT - 7/1/07

Toby, bout how deep ya gettin'em? thanx.

Hey bud!! All my fish were caught around 12-18 feet deep. It was so windy that I used a Carolina RIg much of the day, which I am not real good at. I felt and missed a bunch of fish due to my inexperience fishing that C-rig. All I had were 1/2 ounce bullet weights to Trig with and I was not feeling hardly any structure where I was fishing due to the wind. I have been cranking some deeper holes this year with some DT16s and have not had much luck. You do any deep cranking about this time of the year? Much luck? I cranked all the holes where we caught fish, but no takes on the crank baits...

Going to the James this weekend for some smallies!! Cant wait. I guess since you retired every day is Saturday and every night is Saturday night huh??

Toby

Toby,

Keep the reports coming, they're great. Only get to the Lake once a month and it is good to have a report like yours. Helps me weed out some techniques and focus on others so I don't waste my time. I realize you still have to go out and fish and be ready to change up for the conditions but your reports give me a good place to start.

Toby, the secret to crankin deep is hittin the structure at the rite place. floatin/divin cranks only contact the bottom at their maximum runnin depth for about 1/3 of ya cast, an they pretty much need to hit bottom to provoke a strike. i do best when i can bring a crank off a drop-off. if ya got it hittin bottom when ya come off it ya can expect a strike. an, yes retirement is like every day bein sat or sun. gimme a holler an lets hook up, i'd enjoy fishin with ya again.

For sure bud. As always, somehow the summer is a very busy time. Seems like every weekend there is a wedding, trip, or plans made early in the year. I would love to get with you and get out on the water though soon. You been doing any good at Reidsville? I would ask if you been fishing much, but I know better!!!

toby@stitchesweb.com is my e-mail address, hit me up sometime!! I have been doing a bunch of nightfishing with some good results. You up for going one night?

Toby

fished RCL last wk one day for 7 hrs...just got 2 bites, a 6lb 9oz on a 1 oz spinnerbait and a 6 lb 13 oz on a P&J. i'll be in touch!

Toby,
Thanks for the report. Good to hear someone's catching them.
I finally had enough and went fishing yesterday in one of Saddams old lakes. I brought a few of my fishing poles over with me to keep up on my casting and pitching skills.
I caught some Trout / Tarpoon looking fish on a chatter bait. I cant wait to get back on Kerr.

Have a good 4th everyone!!!

Good to read all these reports guys. I'm only visiting, but i plan to fish this weekend and i'm glad to hear they are biting because i plan to catch some fatties!