Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Johnson Spoon questions

Does anyone use Johnson Spoons on the lake? If so, how do you rig yours up. Do you use 1 split ring or two or tie the line directly on the JS? Do you use a trailer? If so, what color of choice do you use?

I've good luck with a JS in the past. I usually use 2 split rings 1 hooked to the spoon and the other hooked to the line and the other split ring. This seems to give the JS more action in the water. I also use a white split tail trailer and rarely use a trailer hook unless I'm getting quite a few short strikes. I always use a Silver JS but I did try the Gun Metal one but didn't get the results from it.

Re: Johnson Spoon questions

my best luck has been on the black johnson silver minnow with a 6in ribbon tail worm or a black 4in pork rind...bigguns like the black.

Thanks Fishdoc,
It sounds like you're using what I call "Gun Metal". I'm surprised at the size of trailer you use with yours. Doesn't it cut down on the action of the lure some with that long worm?

i pinch off the head an leave just enuff to hook it on the spoon. i start with a 7-8in worm but use the tail, just the wiggly part. pork rind works better, but i only use that when i'm gonna be throwin it all day cause it dries out so fast. works great in grass lakes, slow down til it hangs the grass an then "POP" it out...bam, he's got it!

OK...now that makes more sense. I've used a snap lid plastic container with water and some scent in it to store the lure and pork when I'm not using it. It helps cut down on it drying up during the day.