Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Size boat for kerr lake

Have a question,i recently bought a weld-craft aluminum bass boat model 1544 with a yammi 40hp engine
and have a 7.5 gal tank,the boat has a 21" transom and
22" sides with a console and front ,rear decks.Is this boat too small to fish kerr for stripers?I know i can't go on the lake when wind is 15plus mph with whitecaps,is there certain ramps i need to unload at,i live in nash county so i am a hour away.

Re: Size boat for kerr lake

Biggest stipers to date came over the side of my 12' jon boat with a 4 hp on the back. 18 pounds and 16 pounds out of school chasing shad in the cove in the fall.

I suspect you can use it fine in many of the creeks/arms, which happen to be where a lot of the striper are being caught.

Not sure if I would want to take it to Striper City or the dam, afternoon winds can come up fast and make the main lake pretty rough, and in those conditions you would not want to be too far from cover.

Probably would not want to be in it launching out of Flemington right now either, too many ski boats, wake boarders, and jet skis running around there in the afternoon on weekends stirring the water up quite a bit.

Avoid the big/busy ramps and the wide stretches of open water and you should be ok.

are you wondering about rigging your boat for striper fishing or the sizer of your baot for the lake itself?

I would say watch the wind forcast. I know it can often be wrong, but if it calls for 5-10 mph winds it is usually fine. I used to fish out of a 16 ft bass boat for stripers and as long as the winds were <10 mph, I would fish anywhere the stripers were.

Just concerned about the size of my boat,we normally go to the lake through henderson and i have driven to several ramps,one i liked had a new gate you paid at but right before the gate a road went to the right to a public ramp.I have fished stripers around 20 years ago with my late father we had a monark mcfast 5 15' fiberglass bassboat with a 85 on it,this was the time right before i believe earps seafood in raleigh did there thing... We fished a area at the mouth of one creek that had a island with 60-710 plus foot of water on the main lake side but as i said that was some time ago,caught em hopkins 1 1/4oz spoons jigging.