Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling Speed

Please someone tell me what is the best speed to Troll?
The Gas Engine I have Idles about 2 1/2 mph?
Is it better using bucktails on Downriggers to use the gas or the Minn Kota Trolling motor(24 volt).

Next Question:
Light action rods or medium for downriggers.
I have been advised to use light rods however
the post yesterday about (THE STRIPER LOWDOWN) there was a lot of discussion about using big tackle and getting the fish in the boat quick!
So as not to stress them out....I only CPR.....

Last weekend was my first time using the Downriggers no Striper's in the boat just 2 pop-off's.
Is it because the Rod's are to stiff.
Penn Senator's on Penn Slammer Rods.

If you can help Thanx alot.
Bucket

Re: Trolling Speed

BAITBUCKET,
I TROLL 99% OF THE TIME. THE SPEED I TROLL IS 1.5MPH TO 2.5 MPH. SOUNDS LIKE TO ME YOU MAY NEED TO SLIDE YOUR LINE FURTHER INTO YOUR CLIP ON THE DOWNRIGGER BALL. IF THE PRESSURE IS STRONG ENOUGH, THE FISH WILL HOOK THEMSELVES WHEN THEY TAKE THE BAIT. I USE 7 1/2 FLIPPIN STICKS WITH PENN REELS. PUT A BOW IN YOUR ROD AND WHEN THE FISH POPS THE LINE FROM THE DOWNRIGGER BALL, THE ROD WILL POP UP AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A FISH ON. I BOW MINE AS MUCH AS I CAN SO THE SLACK WILL BE TAKEN UP ASAP. ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, YOU'LL LOVE IT. SETTER

Thanks Setter,

What the heck is a Flippin Stick?
Who makes Them?????

Thanks

Flipping sticks are the rods bass fisherman use to "flip" their bait into tight places. They usually have a telescoping blank and are made by many manufacturers. If you "only CPR," you need to fish when the water gets cooler. The fish usually die this time of year when caught from deep water no matter how quickly you unhook them. By leaving them in the water when you take the hook out, you are just exposing them to the hottest water in the lake that much longer. There is nothing wrong with catching and keeping your limit of stripers, but you need to fish for something else when you have caught your limit. Otherwise, you are killing above the limit.

BUCKET, THATS WHAT THEY CALLED THEM 20 YEARS AGO. THESE RODS ARE 7 1/2' IN LENGTH. I RETRACT THEM TO 6' FOR STORAGE. BASS FISHERMEN USE TO USE THEM FOR BASS FISHING. I USE PENN 10 REELS. MY BOAT, RODS, REELS HAVEN'T BEEN MAKE IN A LONG TIME. I PICKED UP MY BOAT IN OCT. 1986. SO YOU SEE WE ARE ALL OLD. SETTER

Thanx Setter,

I GOOGLED "FLIP'IN STIK" AND BERKLEY MAKES ONE 7 1/2 FT. MED. HEAVY. BY THAT NAME.

AS FAR AS BEING OLD, WELL CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE.
BESIDES, I'M OLD TOO.

EARL

IF I EVER DO CATCH A STRIPER I WILL PROBABLY HAVE HIM BRONZED....AND THEN FISH FOR SOMETHING ELSE!

THE BUCKET

Bait Bucket those Ugly Stik striper rods you were going to buy are a good choice for trolling so are the ones I trold you about at Wal-mart. the berkely rods with the abu reel with the bait clicker on it. another good choice is an eagle claw popping rod