Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bass Night Fishing 6/22/07

Went out on Friday night around 9:30 pm and fished until around 2 am. Caught (3) largemouth, all solid keepers, but no hogs. Caught all (3) fish on black 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits in around 8-9 feet of water right beside a ledge that drops into around 26 feet of water. Had a HUGE blowup on a black jitterbug as well. Felt the fish for a second or two, but when I really set the hook, it popped out. Think it was a gar or a catfish maybe, but it was pretty crazy. Just retrieving that lure with the soft gurgiling noise it makes and then out of nowhere all heck broke loose!

Also went Sat for a while. One 3.5 lb fish and another smaller keeper. Larger fish caught on an Ol Monster Black Grape worm with 1/2 ounce weight. Smaller fish on a grub with a 1/4 ounce weight.

Toby

Re: Bass Night Fishing 6/22/07

Good post Toby, thanks for the info. Have to try them at night next time I am down that way.

TOBY, I ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR POST, VERY INFORMATIVE AND LOTS OF GOOD TIPS TO TRY. I'M FISHING ISLAND CREEK TO IVY HILL AREA TONIGHT FOR LM BASS. I HAVE ZOOM OLE MONSTER WORMS IN BLACK GRAPE TO TRY. I USUALLY THROW BLACK OR BLACK EMERALD OLE MONSTERS. ALSO I DO WELL ON BLACK BUZZBAITS IN PAST YEARS BUT SO FAR THIS YEAR IT HAS LET ME DOWN. KEEP UP THE GOOD POST. AT 73 YEARS YOUNG, I HAVE ALOT OF LEARNING TO DO, I HOPE.
ABE

I also have blanked on the buzz baits this year for some reason. I have actually caught very few on the plastic this year at night for some reason. The 1/2 oz black spinner baits with BIG blades have been the ticket. I got a bump the other night on a 1/2 oz jig that almost jerked the rod out of my hands. Set the hook hard and broke off. Have had this happen twice with FIRELINE recently. 20 lb braid is not supposed to break off like that. Any ideas out there why that happened? Is it possible that my polomar knot slipped through on that braid?

Toby

I USE THE IMPROVED CINCH KNOT ON BRAIDED LINE AND HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM.
ABE

Great report man thanks....Keep on fishing

Toby,

If you are fishing the sharp drop-offs along points and breaking off I think you have just been unlucky enough to have pulled it across a sharp edge twice. I use allot of braid on baitcasters and spinning reels. Always use the Palomar knot and if it is pulled down tight I have never had it slip through. You really have to make sure it is pulled down tight, I have failed to do that and had the knot fail. If you are cinching it down tight I think you have just been unlucky on the rocks.