Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling for Catfish

When trolling for catfish what is the best thing to use?Don't care what kind of catfish we catch ,just want to catch some. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Re: Trolling for Catfish

never heard of anyone trolling for catfish.

i am guessing u mean drifting. fish with a slip cork rig and fish about 15 ft in 20 to 40 ft. water. its will get bites from all sizes of fish. u better have rod holders or it will get expensive...lots of luck.....bcat

for bait i would use cut bait bream or crappie, hook a 6/0 to 8/0 hook circle or kahale, weight about a 2-3 oz walking stick,cork, 40-50 lbs leader

there have been times we have gone out where there is no wind to drift, we deploy the trolling motor(minn kota drifting)find the right speed to get action from the rods and then start chris crossing channels or near structures you will be able to cover these areas multiple times. compared to relying on the wind direction..

I use float rigs, bottom bouncers, down lines, and free lines just whats working the best, usually a combo. Both live and cut bait Shad,herring,white perch,crappie, and bream. Hooks from 5/0-12/0 depending on fish and bait size. Circle, Octopus, and Big River hooks. Fish a wide range in depth depending on where and time of year 5-100ft. 0.5mph is usually a good speed to troll and the use of a sea anchor helps with boat control. Good luck.

When trolling for white bass and perch we have caught lots of catfish using Buck Perry spoonplug on three way with rooster tail on other. Haven't caught as many this year as previous, but everytime someone new goes, they are supprised how many cats of different species that will hit.

bcat pretty much hit the nail on the head. I will be doing a show on this technique on July 3rd, but it's not suppose to air until around October I believe, will be on the sportsman channel.

Thanks for all of your replies. Just wanting to try to catch some catfish. Carried my Dad down last Friday but had no luck. Got only one hit on a piece of cut shad. I appreciate all of the replies.Going to try again this Friday .Maybe with all this info. I can have a little success.Thanks,Again.

the blue cats are just startin to hit trolled lures good now. caught bout 20 last w/e on roostertails an rapalas, up to 14 lbs. also caught several nice ones on bucktail jigs fished for crappie. have caught well over a hundred lbs a day many times on trolled lures. i usually troll 2.5-3 mph. hope this helps.

are ya'll striper fishing? Trolling is NOT catfishing stay to the stripers. This is not a way to Catfish the way I was raised!!! 1bigblue

If it works,then it must be a good idea.I;ve done it and love it.

1bigblue, naw i ain't striper fishin...i'm just fishin. we catch bout everything that'll eat a shad by fishin this away. lots a fun!!! thats what we like havin. hope you are

I have been deep water drifting and slow trolling for blues for a few years now. I prefer using LARGE shad on corks and downlines at different depths. If the wind speed is 4mi or less, if no wind I throw out the trolling motor set on 1. You would be surprised in the various depths you catch blues and learn alot of new structured areas to come back to. Largest so far landed was 44lbs. The fact of being in deep water is usually much more peaceful and relaxing til the baitrunner takes off.