Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crappie question

Earlier this year there was some debate on the rising and lowering of the water during the spring spawn of crappie and its effects on the population. I chimed in that I had read in the virginia game and field that some crappie would spawn more than once during the year under certian conditions, and that I had found eggs in crappie in the fall when useing them for catfish bait. Several people chimmed in saying that these were the eggs they were producing for next years spawn. Yesterday I caught a few at my fathers pond and one was heavy with eggs. What are yalls thoughts?

Re: crappie question

i've read in several different mags that if fish don't get to spawn when they should, that they absorb the eggs back into their sysstem. i know i've caught a lot of fish of many kinds that had eggs after they shoulda spawned. mother nature seems to know what she's doin

Re: crappie question

Your right! Many fish will spawn 2 times in a year, but usually they spawn either as soon as water levels or temps are suitable, or they will wait until the season flips and will spawn then. This activity is very similar to the 2nd rut with deer. If you get me.