Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STRIPERS

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, BROUGHT HOME MY LIMIT OF STRIPERS TODAY. MOST WERE 9 TO 11 LBS. CAUGHT ON SPOONS AND BUCKTAILS. WHITE HEAD WITH A GREEN CURLY TAIL WORM. MOST FISH WERE CAUGHT BETWEEN 30' AND 36'. MID LAKE WAS THE AREA. CCAUGHT ON DOWNRIGGERS AND LEAD CORE. SETTER

Re: STRIPERS

Good Job Setter! what kind of spoons were you using? I need to save my pennies and get some downriggers. whatg size Bucktails were you using?

RTM, I USE SUTTON SPOONS, CROME ONE SIDE AND COPPER THE OTHER. DIDN'T CATCH BUT 2 FISH ON THEM TODAY. I ALSO USE A CROCADILE HEAVY SPOON ON LEADCORE. BUCKTAILS WERE THE BEST TODAY. 1/2 OZ UP TO 2 OZ. CAUGHT MORE ON DOWNRIGGERS, I BELIEVE BECAUSE I USE 4. ONLY HAD 2 LEADCORE OUT TODAY. I CAN COVER 27 FEET OF WATER THE WAY I HAVE MY BOAT RIGGED. SETTER

27ft? vertical or horizontal? how? speed? how deep is the water ya contactin them in? close to shore or out in open water? crks or main channel? THANX! FD

If you don't have downriggers how do you get to that depth, and about how far back were you trolling em. Thanks
Jeremy

if you dont have down riggers you need to use large lead above your leader, probably 2 ounce or more. try to go slow enough to get your line at a 45 degree angle. I think the rule of thumb for monofilament is seven to ten feet out for one foot down, not sure about that though because it has to depend on the angle and the speed you are going. I would pay attention to Setter's reports he seems to know what he is doing. I am still pretty new to all of this

Great job Setter.
I use dipsy divers to get the depth that I need.
A #0 diver will get you down to 30' with 115' of 20lb line out going 2mph.
Nobody that I know uses these but I think they do a great job.
Chappie

Thanks for the info.
You guys will probably laugh at me but in the past I have just drifted nutbush while jigging bucktails. I had just heard that jigging bucktails worked in the previous summers I had been. As you can guess I have had no luck on kerr but panfish and small cats. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. As not to steal from the thread. GREAT JOB SETTER.

What is a dipsy diver and where can one buy them. Thanks in advance

Jedremy you can get a dispsy diver from Cabelas. www.cabelas.com

Chappie, tell me more about the dipsy divers please, what colors are you using and how do you rig em? what test line are you using to pull them etc? what lures or bait are you dragging behind them?

Oh and Jeremy you can also get them at www.amazon.com

Retnavyencm and all,
Rather than me trying to explain, check out this website(http://luhrjensen.com/techreports.cfm). Go to tech info and then tech reports. Scroll down until you see the heading "dipsy divers". There is a wealth of knowledge on this website when it comes to rigging, and trolling techniques. Mostly geared to northern deep water fishing for trout, salmon and walleye.
I tend to use either silver or gold colors and sometimes chaurtreuse (sp?) The lure at the end of the leader can be live bait or artificial. It sounds like white and green seem to be working lately. I tend to use baits that mimic the color and action of natural bait fish.
I troll with 20# mono with a 4' to 6' 17# flourocarbon leader.
I use alot of flatfish type lures and crank baits as long as they are shallow diving. Caught a 7# striper with a small F7 size flatfish while trolling shallow for bass.
I hope this helps,
Chappie

Thanks Chappie

FISHDOC, I HAVE A OLD 21' DIXIE WITH A 350 CHEVY MOTOR WHILE TROLLING, I CAN SLOW TROLL AT 525 RPM 1.5 MPH. 2 DOWN RIGGERS OFF THE BACK, 2 ON SIDES. I HAVE 2 10' RODS I LAY ON THE SIDES. THESE RODS ARE 2 FEET FROM THE WATER. YESTERDAY, I WAS RUNNING ABOUT 2. TO 2.2 MPH. YOU DON'T NEED TO PUT EXTRA WEIGHT ABOVE THE 3 WAY SWIVEL, JUST PUT A BIGGER BUCKTAIL ON THE SHORT LINE. RUNNING 51/2 COLORS ON 1 LEADCORE AND 6 ON THE OTHER. FROM EAGLE POINT TO DR. HOUSE MAIN LAKE. LOST 5 CROCSDILE SPOONS IN THE TREES BUT THE FISH WERE THERE. THESE SPOONS WEIGH 3+ OZ. BUT GIVE GREAT ACTION. ANYONE CAN JIG FOR STRIPERS IF YOU CAN FIND THEM. WHEN YOU JIG, MOST OF THE TIME THEY HIT THE BAIT WHEN ITS FALLING. I USUALLY START TROLLING WITH MY BAITS RUNNING HIGHER THAN WHERE THE FISH ARE. WHEN I MARK FISH,(3 FISH FINDERS ON MY BOAT) I KNOCK IT IN NETURAL , LET THE BAITS FALL FOR A SECOND, PUT IT BACK IN GEAR AND CONTINUE TO TROLL. SOMETIMES IT WORKS, SOMETIMES I LOSE BAITS. SOMETIMES YOU CAN CATCH BIG FISH. BIGGEST WAS 24LBS CAUGHT IN DEC. AT THE MOUTH OF EASTLAND CREEK. NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY. I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS. BY THE WAY, MY PROP IS FOR TROLLING. AT OUR CHURCH PICNIC A FEW YEARS AGO, I PULLED 6 SLOMS AT KERR WITH 10 PEOPLE ON THE BOAT. SETTER

thanx, again SETTER, thats some good info.