Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fishing trip

I'm going on a vacation to a couple northern states and will be doing some trout fishing in smaller rivers. Has anyone on here ever fished for trout? What kind of bait, etc? I'm open to any ideas.

Anglerman

Re: Fishing trip

I'm originally from Pa. and have done a lot of trout fishing. In a fast moving creek or stream I fly fish for them. In a slow moving creek or stream or one with a lot of deep holes and in the lakes, the best lure I've ever used for trout is a spinner manufactured by "Mepps"

it would be best if you look into the fishing regs of the states you plan on going too. some places are very strict on what you can use,size,limit.etc
where ever you are stop there should be a tackle shop nearby, they would be your best source of information on what to use for that area..

how are you planing on fishing for them...(besides with a fishing pole) had to get that one in before someone else.

I have never fished up north for trout but have always had good luck in NC and VA on the 1/16 ounce Panther Martins in a rainbow color. I use 4 lb test and ultralight rod with spinning rod.

Toby

Grew up in Wva and much like Va and Tenn,Pa,Nc and most other states some only trout fish. Take along the lightest takle you have and think Trout. Sammon egg bait (shrimp flavor) in the bottle is great, if slow water try garlic cheese..I misss the trout..But I live here on Kerr/Buggs so Ilfe is good...Mike

Maybe you should take some of your dog poop with you. The trout will probably like it just as much as the catfish in Kerr.

Just like the other guys said, use a small inline spinner, my favorite is the 1/8 oz. Rooster Tail is black and gold.

growing up in colorado, fishing small rivers and creeks we used small inline mepps spinners with a piece of nightcrawler on the treble hook. we alwyas fished upstream and sometimes used a small splitshot about 18 to 24 inches above the spinner. Cast upstream and let it drift into the bends keeping most of the slack out of the line and watching the line for twitching or stopping briefly. also be careful walking along the nbanks of the creeks and rivers, your shadow and your footsteps can spook the fish

Sounds good, I will try some of these suggestions. I have some spinners still in the package.

Mepps in-lines are probably the best all around lure there is for catching a wide range of species. I use a #3 Aglia buck tail brown/black with either a gold or silver (depending on if it's cloudy or not).
I've caught the following with it:
Crappie, LM, SM, Ring Perch, Sunfish/Bream, Sand/White Bass, Pickerel, Northern Pike, Channel Cat, Bull Frog (no kidding) and probably a few more but I can't say I've ever caught a trout on one because I don't trout fish, never have and most likely won't ever but I wouldn't put it pass a Mepps to catch trout too.

I like panther martin's over the mepps and rooster tails. They spin at a much slower speed and even when throwing them up stream. The chrome or chrome with a orange hackle. If it were a lake or pond I would switch between the 3 in a variety of colors.

The depth is another thing too. Panther Martin's run deeper than the others because the blades is directly on the spinner. If you take a few of each style in a variety of colors u will have good luck. Try throwing down stream at a 45 degree angle. Hold the line tight and let the spinner work it's way across the current toward your side. I like a rooster tail or other shallow spinner to do this. You might have to give them a quick jerk before you start to reel to get the blade spinning.

a word from the doctor...sampo #10 ball bearin swivel on all suggested lures.( okay several words)

Fishdoc you must have saved up your pennies before you retired to be able to use those high dollar swivels, lol

That's why ya got to love FD. No matter how much you know on a subject, he knows a little more . Not that there isn't alot of people who know more than me, he shares the info. In this day and age it is amazing that this forum exists. Too often we don't share our knowledge because of tournaments, citations, records, etc. and our sport suffers.

Thanks to everyone here that shares his/her knowledge and questions!

never been a fan of in line spinners. they to me are not very natural looking. No doubt they are effective, but for spin fishing i suggest a small kastmaster. blue/silver is what i've had my best luck on. you also might want to try a copper color super duper. if you are fly fishing try a #12 gold or copper ribed hares ear, and a daves red squirrel. in a #6 or #8. If the fish are rising try to match the hatch with different colors of elk hair caddis and adams patterns. also good to try. PMD, halo emerger, for browns and rainbows clouser minnow, hormberg, and the favorite of everyone the wolly bugger.

The fishing trip was great. I caught the limit a few times. The northern rivers and lakes were beuitful. I ended up using variety of inline spinners. I used nightcrawlers and tight lined on the small rivers and caught some nice brown trouts.

Thanks for all your support,

Anglerman

RETNAVY, they worth the trouble i've had with less expensive swivels...but, yes, i saved many pennies to be able to retire early( an buy SAMPOS). raymond, thanx. sharin is the way i learned this great sport of ours...PASS IT ON!!!

the sharing of knowledge is the only way most people learn and I think that deep down most of us really do want to help people anyway. Doc you are right for using the good stuff whenever you can. I need to go by Bobcats and get some of his good stuff tomorrow for jigging. Hope all of you do well this weekend