Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stump Grinding

Sorry, I have a question not related to fishing. I need to have one (or more) stumps ground. I have checked the classifieds here, nothing. Can someone refer me to somebody that does this type of work?

Re: Stump Grinding

Talked to this guy the other day, he may be able to help you out...

Overby's Lawn & Landscaping
#919-691-1721
Bobby Overby

This may not work for what you want, but I just use my chain saw with a 20 inch bar and cut the stump level with the ground. Usually have to sharpen the chain after I get done from getting into a little dirt but most of the time it works. On smaller stumps a shovel and maddock works well.

Most equpment rental places will have a stump grinder for rent, 1/2 day and up. Figure $100.00 at least for one that's worth using. Power Equipment plus in Henderson rents them.
They are easy to operate, but make sure to follow safety and common sense, these things don't play.
Southpaw

I rented one of those dudes one time and wish i had saved my money and just used a chainsaw.It would have been cheaper to buy me a chain and a heck of a lot quicker.That thing worked the dog snot out of me.I had to keep constant upward pressure on the handles.Won't forget that day.You would be better off buying a new chain.

Forest Blackwell in Oxford does a top notch job on stump grinding and other landscaping ....... give him a call ......number should be in the book

Hump's Stump Grinding in Chester. Will only travel that far for a large job though - $500 or more, or maybe a partial trade for some LM bass fishing on the lake could also be an option!. Stumps in the AM - fishing in the PM....hmmmm! Usally about $2.50 - $3.25 per inch is pretty standard reagrdless of who you get to do it and depending on the stump, difficulty to get to, above ground roots, how tall it is, etc....plus some travel expense for a job over 30 miles each way is also common. Measure the stumps diameter at ground level (distance across the stump from one side to the other)at it's widest point, if the stump is less than 10" tall, multiply the diameter by $2.75 per inch and that is a good starting point for what you could expect to pay a local to do the work. A stump that is cut off real tall or one that has many above ground roots going out like a web will of course cost more. Cut them suckers just above ground level (close to the dirt as possible without damaging your saw) with a chain saw and save some $$ on the stump grinding. If you pay someone to do it, make sure you dig through the wood chips with a rake to see what you are paying for BEFORE you pay. You will end up with alot of chips from even a small stump. To grow good grass the main body of the stump needs to be at least 5" to 6" below grade, the chips should be removed and backfill the hole with top soil. If in a wooded area or grass is not an issue, the chips can just be spread out over the area and will settle over time. Surface roots should also be removed. Most stump grinders can grind down 12" - 13" below grade if requested - not really needed unless you are putting in a drvieway, sidewalk, etc....and this will cost more. I have seen many people ripped off by those who grind the stump enough to make a large pile of chips that cover the remaining stump. The home owner pays, and gets out in the yard to clean up the chips a week later, only to find the stump is not even below grade - happens all the time. The good guys try to do it right the first time, and will come back and make it right if a customer calls back with a problem, just beware. You will get what you pay for, it is a time thing, and if a guy gives an estimate for half of what the next guy charges, you will get half the grinding time, which is half as good. A rental will cost you about $250 per day, anything less than a full days work and you are better off to pay someone else to do it for you. Also a very dangerous machine that does not know the difference between a foot and stump, ear plugs and safety glasses are a must unless you are an idiot. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. Special thanks to Hump for providing the detail and warnings.