Return to Website

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6/23/07 Catfish Showdown ! This weekend !!!

Hey guys!
We are in the just a few days from the 3rd Showdown for the season. Last month we had 100 boats bring our total to 190 boats for the first 2 tourneys. Last months winners was Bubba Melton and his father. What a great experience to share!!
Get there early because we're expecting a big crowd!
Registration will start around 1pm . The captains meeting @ 4:30pm and launch @ 5pm. Get there early to get a good spot on the shore and a low boat #.

Let's also remember to keep the Weston family in our prayers!

Bring it on guys ! I'll see you at the scales!

Re: 6/23/07 Catfish Showdown ! This weekend !!!

are all of your fish brought to the scales alive? are your tournaments all catch and release aftwer weighing? whats it cost to get in?

Catch and release is our goal! We stress the importance of fish care while in our tourneys. If the fish is brought in dead or not thriving it will be disqualified and the fishermen will get an ear full. Because it is a waste of time,money and fish not to bring in a healtly thriving fish to the weigh-in. In 5 years of being the weigh-master , 5 fish or less have be disqualified at the scales. These numbers from what information that I have received over the years and very low compared to other events fished by the guys. Some events will weigh dead fish or have a clause to allow one in the creel limit set by the event. 0 is the number we strive to meet at each event.
$50.00 per boat is the entry fee.

What time is weight in? Also,do you have to put in at the same boat landing or can you drive up lake and put in? To keep fish alive is hard for small boats without big live wells.Can you bring your fish in as soon as you catch it?

Keven,
Scales open at 8pm. If you catch a large fish early, keep it in the water on a stringer that is through the bottom jaw. NOT THOUGH THE GILLS! If you are far from the scales don't drag the fish in the water. Make short runs of a few minutes put the fish in the water carefully and repeat as often as necessary to protect the fish. I have dipped water out of the river with a bucket and poured it on the fish to keep it wet also in combination with the above.
If you need help keeping the fish get it in to us and we can assist and advise till weigh-in time. We also will evaluate the condition of the fish.
We will do what it takes to keep the fish thriving!

You can put in at other boat ramps or at Staunton View. You must leave from the tournament site when the others are released. A boat check is mandatory and captains meeting starts @ 4:30pm

I may have to work saturday and I'm not sure if I can get there by 4:30, may be closer to 5. Can I leave late?

If you're a little late thats fine. You still need to be briefed on rule /any changes and get the boat check done. The finish time is still the same, it just shortens up your time to fish and everyone else ge to pick over the the better holes.Your spot may not be open , so have some other spots planned out just in case!