This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling for Stripers??

I am new to this Striper thing and would like to
try catching them trolling. I have read the many posts on here... lead line, downriggers, planer boards,etc - Its all a little confusing to a newby.
I just want a little advice on maybe trolling methods for bucktails. Just some basics to get started with.
Colors, weights, and methods for trolling with just regular equipment. And where to troll (not your favorite spots) but types of areas - ie: near points, deep water, drop-offs etc. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Re: Trolling for Stripers??

if you have one of the GMCO maps of the lake that are avalable at Wal-mart it shows areas that have stripers in them and at what time of year

Thanks for the map info
That will give me a few good starting places!

GODWIN 123, MY EXPERIENCE WITH STRIPERS WHEN THEY SCHOOL IS WHEN THEY START BITING THEY MOVE. ANOTHER WORDS YOU HIT THEM YOU GET THEM. IN MOST CASES, IF A BOAT 100 YARDS IN FRONT OF YOU CATCHES A FISH, WHEN YOU GET THERE, IN MOST CASES, THE FISH WILL BE GONE.
DON'T EVER GIVE UP. IF YOU ARE USING LEADCORE, TIE A 3 WAY SWIVEL ON THE LEADCORE, RUN 0NE LINE FROM THE 3 WAY ABOUR 4 FEET. RUN THE OTHER ABOUT 5 TO 6 FEET. TIE A 1 OZ. BUCKTAIL TO THE SHORT LINE, TIE A SMALLER BUCKTAIL ON THE LONG LINE AND TOP THEM OFF WITH A GREEN WORM. THIS WILL WORK. SETTER

SettyermIMdo not know anything about lead core, never used it, how do you tie a knot in that stuff? is it just like a normal knot?

RTM, I TIE THE SAME KNOT AS I TIE ON ANY OTHER LINE. THE CLOTH OR NYLON MAKES IT EASIER. YOU NEED TO USE A LEADER FOR IT TO BE EFFECTIVE. YOU CAN'T TIE IT DIRECTLY TO THE BAIT. THEY HAVE DIFFERENT LB. LINE I USUALLY USE THE 27LB. OR THE 36LB. THE LEADER I USE IS 20LB. IF YOU GET HUNG UP USUALLY THE LEADER BREAKS.
LEADCORE IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN REGULAR LINE. FOR YEARS I'VE BEEN USING ANDE GREEN LINE. IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS, I'LL TRY AND HELP. SETTER

Thanks Setter. The wife and I are heading out in the morning. Hopefully the bait and the fish will cooperate

Thanks Setter. I'll try that. Do the two bucktails have a problem tangling? And about how long of a green worm do you use? Is a curly tail worm any better?

WHEN YOU TIE ON YOUR LEADER, SAY ITS 4'. PUT THE HEAVIER BUCK TAIL ON THIS LINE. ON THE LONGER LINE PUT THE LIGHTER BAIT. THE HEAVIER BUCKTAIL WILL FALL ABOUT 6" LOWER THAN THE SMALLER BUCKTAIL. RIG THE WORM LIKE SO IT WILL TRAIL AND FLUTTER. I USE CURRLY TAILS ALSO. YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN WHEN YOU SEE IT IN THE WATER. YOU CAN CATCH CATFISH, BASS, WALLEYE,
AND WHITE BASS. I CAUGHT A 71/2 POUND LARGE MOUTH LAST YEAR AT ABOUT 25 FEET. IF I CAN HELP, LET ME KNOW. SETTER