Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SHAD-TEK 2007, Clarksville, June 27: 7PM

In conjunction with the effort to raise medical expenses for Carl Weston, who was in a very bad car accident, we're providing a very informative tech-talk on Shad. The agenda of this talk is below but suffice it to say that I will be laying out every secret I know about shad and that the seminar will be appropriate for catfish, striper, or LM anglers who want to understand more about the primary food fish in Kerr, Gaston, and other area water. The session will last an hour to an hour-fifteen and will include printed, multimedia, and demonstrative information.

SHAD-TEK 2007 Agenda:
- Shad Description & Biology
A primer of shad biology including its food needs, movements, and habits; sort of a "shad 101" about what a shad needs to live and be happy.
- Shad Needs in a closed Environment (Bait-tank)
A detailed description of eight specific areas that will leave you with a tank-load of dead shad. Each area will be discussed along with ideas to prevent it.
- Putting it all Together
A step by step explaination of a proven process to catch and keep your shad happy including equipment, tank maintenance, and a few other items tossed in for good measure.

At the end, SHAD-TEK 2007 will leave a beginner with an absolute TON of relevant information and it will leave the expert with some explainations about things they've just "known" for years. AND...its a win-win...even if you hate the presentation its for a good cause.

For SHAD-TEK 2007, a $20 donation to the fund raiser is required (100% goes to the fundraiser). We are working with Pizza Pub to develop an optional $10 dinner including tea/soda. To sign up please email me at (jfojoe@verizon.net) simply saying you will attend. Your email to me is your pledge for the $20 which we'll collect at the event. If you do not have an email please give your verbal pledge to Warren Weston at 434 735 8106. Unless you state otherwise in your pledge you're pledge will include the seminar and the meal. If you have any questions contact Glenn, or Warren, or myself.

Hey Folks, there's a wad of you out there that have forgotten more about all this stuff than I will ever know. If this is the case (as it will be for many of you) please come anyway and enjoy the friends and to support the cause. Please pass the word and we'll see you on the 27...jfo

Re: SHAD-TEK 2007, Clarksville, June 27: 7PM

Good Deal!
I just got your email and I think it's a great idea. Thanks for doing this Joe. Carl Weston and his family could surely use the support.
OK! let's make a good showing to gain a little knowledge and come together to help a fellow fishermen!

I will be happy to donate the $20. As i told The Stump Jumper I will be out of town the 27th -30th. Just let me know how to pay the $. Smiles. G

Glenn, thanks. See email...jfo

HEY JFO
PLEASE GIVE THOSE OF US AND ADDRESS WHERE WE CAN MAIL A CHECK FOR THIS GUY.....EVEN THOUGH SOME OF US MAY NOT KNOW HIM.....OR LIVE OUT OF TOWN AND CAN NOT ATTEND THE DINNER.....

THIS CERTAINLY A WORTHY CAUSE.

WHO KNOWS WHEN WE MAY NEED A HELPING HAND.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS TO THIS FAMILY IN NEED!

BAIT BUCKET

BB, thank you so, so much for your attitude.
Make checks payable to CARL WESTON and send them to:
Joe Hicks
209 Pointe Place
Clarksville, Va 23927

Please indicate clearly whether you want to hold a SHAD-TEK seat in your name (you can send a friend) or if you are not able to make it. If you are going to hold a seat for a friend, please email me accordingly and indicate if they want the dinner or not. Thanks again for your support from all of us.

Hi Everyone,
We're off to a great start for our SHAD-TEK benefit and already I can see that together we are going to make a difference. We have the location all pinned down at Pizza Pub and we're working on the food (dinner is seperate from the benefit). Anybody have Opinions on a Lasagna Buffet starting at 630 with the Seminar starting at 7?

I'm sitting in a pile of personal notes, textbooks, and papers on Shad. I thought an hour would be pleaty of time but I can tell you there is a lot of valuable information to help you catch and keep shad frisky. For example, water temperature, sunlight, and wind combine together to make dramatic swings in dissolved oxygen and the location most likely to make a shad smile. These areas are where hot-summer day cast-netting will pay better as the shad seek the best environment.

While I'm busy doing what I can to ensure the seminar is educational for those who have already signed up, I realise that I need to lock down an estimate # of people so Pizza Pub can plan. We may end up with a lot of folks. To motivate you all to let us know if you are coming, so we can hold your spot and also give Pizza Pub accurate estimates, we're gonna put these two subjects (food & oxygen) together...

So for those already signed on, and the next 30 of you to sign up either via email to me or phone to Warren we will have a drawing at SHAD-TEK of those names. The lucky name will get a TP050 Temperature plus Oxygen Meter with 50ft of cable. I bought this unit at Cabela's for $50. It will nail exactly for you the thermocline depth in the summer, and it will help you determine water oxygen content as well.

Get your email in early to help us plan better and thanks in advance for your support...jfo

The drawing for the Temperature/Oxygen Meter isn't closed yet. We're at around $400 for the benefit if all the pledges come thru. I would never tell you how many hours I have invested in making this seminar a high-quality shin-dig. The material is almost done and I just do not know how somebody could leave the seminar without learning new tips about getting and holding bait. Organizing the presentation material for the seminar made me realize how much there is to learn. I'm still very worried about the count for dinner so please get me an email so we can have the right amount of food. Thanks...jfo

Many folks coming to Shad-Tek are coming from out of town, some are coming quite far. For those asking directions, its on Business 15/58 in downtown Clarksville. Coming from the South (Oxford) stay straight after the airport do not get on the "new bridge" 58 bypass. Come to first stoplight, turn right on 58 Business. From the West (South Boston), turn left onto business 58 at the CVS Pharmacy and it's on the right as you enter downtown area in a few miles. From the East (South Hill), exit onto business 58 by Uppy's and cross the old bridge. Its on the left just as you come out of the downtown area. Its at the intersection of 58 and 4th street...Dinner is at 6:30, Seminar starts at 7:00.
Thank you to all who are supporting this and please send me a email so I can plan the right amount of food...jfojoe@verizon.net

Time is getting close for our benefit Shad Seminar so here's the details again:

6:30 for dinner, 7:00 for the Seminar at Pizza Pub in Clarksville. The Dinner is $10 not connected to the benefil, 100% of all rest to the benefit.

The Material is done, we will be covering:
- All about Shad biology including its position in reservoir food chains, its main food source and where to find that food.
- Next we will go indepth on shad diet and the most likely places in the lake to find shad-food. You will learn about Dissolved Oxygen and its affect, and lastly you'll learn about why and how shad school.
- Then we will discuss the eight best methods to kill shad. Whether in the lake or in a tank, these are proven killers.
- Lastly we'll put all this info together and talk specifics about bait tank operation. You'll get smart about chemicals, ammonia management, how many shad can be held in a given tank on a given day.

Come on out and be with us, I promise that there will be some information you havn't heard and even if you're an expert...come on out anyway for the fellowship and to support a great cause...jfo

Forgot the date, its this Wed Nite at 6:30, the 27th...jfo

HEY JOE, ITS MIKE , I'LL BE THERE WED NITE , IT'S A GREAT THING YOU'RE DOING , WE NEED A LOT OF SUPPORT FOR THE WINE SIPPER, HOPE ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE FISHING THIS SAT , FOR THE BENIFIT . WE HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO RAFFLE OFF TO. MIKE

Thanks Mike, See you there.

As of Mike's signup, there are five spots left for the drawing for the TP050 Temperature plus Oxygen Meter with 50ft of cable I mentioned above. There are plenty of seats left but only five on the temperature oxygen meter (early sign-up)...jfo

See you all tomorrow nite at Pizza Pub at 6:30, Seminar at 7. Come show your support and maybe pick up a tidbit or two. Thanks in advance...jfo