Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with throwing cast net

The other post on cast nets got me thinking you all might be able to help me out. I fish the James for cats sometimes and really need to be able to throw a cast net to get bait. I have a small 6' that I can throw but it is just too small. I also have a bigger 10' 1oz net that I just cannot get the hang of. Anybody have any tips on how to throw these bigger nets.

Jeff

Re: Help with throwing cast net

vafishing, serch for Calusa on the net and they have a video that is very helpful in throwing larger nets. Practice some and you'll be throwing good in no time!

VAFISHING!!!!!!! Hey there. I visit and post on the fishingva site from time to time. Need a little help.... I am fishing the James this weekend and have heard and read about the fishkill and "unknown" disease that is impacting the smallmouth population. I will be fishing from Galts Mill to Bent Creek (15 Mile float). Do you know by chance if that are has been impacted by this problem? Also, you catching any cats in the river on live bream?

TOBY

What Big Jon said. If you cannot get the web video working let me know and I'll loan you the VHS. If that does not work, next time you are at Kerr lemme know and we'll meet somewhere. I am very confident that we'll have you throwing an 8ft...it'll cost you a cup of coffee for the lesson jfo

Here's the Calusa link. This method has worked real well for us also.

http://calusa.com/howtothrow.cfm

Thanks guys I will have to check that video out.

JFO I just might have to take you up on that deal if I cannot figure out how to throw this thing.

Toby, I have not heard too much on the upper James fish kills. I pretty much stick to the Tidal portion of the river and there are no issues there. Here is a link to the last article about the problem though from the Times Dispatch. http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-06-10-0310.html

Jeff

That video makes it look so easy i will definitely be practicing following those instructions. Thanks guys.

Jeff

Just below the 14th street bridge area, fish shiners or eel and you should see some good results.
Tossin' a cast net just takes some practice, it's all on the flippin' of your wrist and the movement of your other arm. What you're trying to do is spin the weights just a little bit, which in turns spreads the net out as it flys in the air.

Hey toby if you go to roanoke.com and do a search you will find an article on the fish kill.unless the kill has traveled down stream it is on the upper james and cowpasture(buchanan area)