Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tansducer mounting

Does anyone on the board have a alumminum flat bottom boat with a super sixty on it. I;ve got a Lowe Rough Neck cc and can't get my lowrance or super sixty to read at plane speeds. Someone help me with this befoer i go crazy

Re: Tansducer mounting

I have a 16 ft aluminum crestliner, and I am having the same problems. I have a garmin 160c and it gives some funky readings on plane. I have been told that its air pockets/bubbles. I would love to know the cure as well.
Jeremy

I have a Duracraft with a Lowrance that is a graph and also a flasher with speed, temp & depth. I have moved the t/d as per factory recomendations and had the best marine mechanic I know check the mounting. Some times it works on plane and sometimes not. I have a Hummingbird on our p/toon and it does the same thing. The old model Hummingbird flasher worked and I do not know why they discontinued it!!! Wish I could be more encouraging. I have just excepted it and moved on. Tight lines & smiles. G

I have not seen one on a boat that did not go crazy on plane.

Where are you located?

Henderson, Nutbush and satterwhite pt area

Your tranducer may be mounted to close to the lower unit. I had the same problem in my old Alumacraft.
When I moved it away from the lower unit it seemed to work ok. Now I have the same problem in my new boat when the trim tabs are down. ;-)

I have a 16' Grumman with a Lowrance X-65 and as far as I can tell it does fine at plane speed. My t/d is located as far away from the lower unit as possible. I'm not saying that it won't give a false reading, but I don't seem to have a problem with it going crazy on me at speed. My boat is nothing special just a flat bottom alumminium. I agree with Pete that it may be to close to the lower unit.

I have a G3 alumminium boat that since I have had it the factory installed flasher has never read with any speed at all. this year I installed a hummingbird (not sure of the model #) for the front of the boat so that I could see while fishing and running the trolling motor. I installled the transducer a foot and a half further away from the lower unit than the factory one and it works at all speeds. So there may be some truth to what some are saying about being too close to the lower unit.

It's air bubbles and turbulence from the hull, it distorts the signal it sends out. I moved mine down just a fuzz and it helped a little. I've got a tracker/ hummingbird. It still freaks out at 10 mph and up, but that's better than it was.

Sounds like you are getting air bubbles from the lower unit,OR your transducer is not in the water deep enough while on plane.Your transducewr should be at least 6" in the water.The best place to mount the transducer is to the outter most edge of your transome with the bottom of the transducer anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" below the bottom of the boat with the front of the transducer just tilted downward a little.This should solve your problem.

Hey Buggsman: That is exactly how mine is mounted as I said one of the best marine mechanics I know checked what I had done. Same results. I guess some boats just won't work all the time on plane. Smiles. G

Glen,if all that is done then your unit isn't capable of refreshing fast enough to read the bottom.In most cases,there's only two reasons for not getting a reading,interfernce which could be electrical or mechanical and/or or not enough water around the transducer.Or like i said,unit not capable of reading fast enough.

Thats right, super sixtys are a different animal than todays liquid chrystal fish finders. It should read the bottom and find fish at 70mph, Thats what the company claims. Im having a problem getting one to read also, reads fine as long as you go straight or to the left but to the right the bubble trail from the ribs under the boat makes me lose the bottom from time to time. The trick is getting the trans. in just the right location (out of the bubble trail and deep enough in the water. Depending on the type of transducer you have dictates how to mount it. Email me if youd like my 2 cents.

I have been told to mount the transducer about six inches under the boat and was told today to only leave a 1/8in to 1/16in hanging over by a lowe dealer. I have them from 1/2 in to 1 1/2 at this time and even moved the super sixty down about 4 in and still the same. So I'm confused on which way I should go. I know dealing with a flat bottom can be tricky.
Thanks for all the input so far.

you want zero bubbles between the transducer and the water, this is also true about fiberglass boats and epoxy mounted transducers, you want to make sure there's no bubbles in the epoxy when you set the transducer in the gel.
I have the same problem you're talkin' about, I've got a Fisher Hawk 3V and my transducer goes off the chart on pad, but I really don't want to move it and keep drillin' holes in my transom. I'm good with it just working when I'm off pad, it's really no biggie if I know the lake or river. Biggest issue would be points or flats that you could run up on without the transducer working on pad to let you know that it's getting shallow.

I have a Ranger Cherokee 17' with a tansom mounted transducer. I've had trouble since I've owned the boat getting a reading on plane. I, too, have moved it up and down the min. and max. allowed with the mounting bracket and still no success. I've changed the angle likewise and still nothing. I seem to lose the signal around 15 MPH or so. Mine is also mounted near the lower unit and I may change that soon and see if that helps. I understand that air bubbles and finding clear undisturbed water is the fix but where is the question. So I'm reading your threads with interest and hope to find out more so keep on sending your comments. I do come to Kerr twice a year for a week or two at a time and love it down there. Thanks for all the help.

As buggsman said above, the new liquid crystal fishfinders aren't capable of high speed operation. But the old super-sixty, and the proflasher are, and should give an acurate reading and find fish any where up to 70mph. If air doesn't get under them.

I had the ame problem with the transducer on my bass rig. I lowered the transducer about a 1/4 inch and it helped a lot. Also, I know several guys who have mounted them in a bed of epoxy on the inside of the hull and they all do great at any speed, down fall to this is your water temp is affected, and you loose some sesitivity which can be helped by turning the sensitivity up on the unit. The down fall of having the transducer setting much lower than the bottom of the hull is knocking it of the boat on unseen semi floating items in the water. Been there done that too. If you decide to try the inside mount clean the area good with alcohol, get a tube of victor brand epoxy (part a & b) pick a flat spot in the back of the boat squeeze the entire contents of both tubes onto the area you cleaned mix well with popsickle or other stick , mash transducer into bed of epoxy take stick and pull excess epoxy up onto sides of transducer so that it rest in a solid bed all but the flat part of the transducer. Let dry atleast 12 hrs. This a pretty much a perminent fix as you'll tear the transducer all to he_ _ ! trying to get it out, yep, dun that too. Hoe this helps a bit.

Ray, I read the instructions you gave and have one question. Can the transducer be mounted on the inside as you suggested on an aluminum boat? I had always heard that you can't.

Bassman,

It's my understanding that you can not mount a transducer in an alum. boat or else I would have done that to mine 2 weeks ago.

Fiberglass YES....metal no.

I do think you can get a thru-hull transducer but you have to drill a hole in your hull. I'm not willing to do that on my alum. boat!!!

Thanks for the reply River Lizard. I appreciate the answer.