Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Striper Help

Been trolling all day and only picked up a couple of 20 inch range fish. I've been using leadcore with anywhere from 3-6 colors and a 1 oz bucktail. Any help on tactics or locations would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Striper Help

RED DEVIL,

TRY THIS. GET YOU A 3 WAY SWIVEL, PUT 1 LEADER AT 4 FEET WITH A 2 OZ. BUCKTAIL. GET YOU ANOTHER LEADER ABOUT 6 FEET. PUT YOUR 1 OZ. BUCKTAIL ON THIS ONE. GET YOU SOME LIMEGREEN WORMS AND ATTACH TO EACH BUCK TAIL. HAS WORKED WELL FOR ME. SETTER

THANKS FOR THE TIP I'LL TRY IT TOMORROW

I saw some guys catching a bunch of fish Tuesday from a distance while bass fishing a hole of mine. They took out at Island Creek the same time as I did and had some real nice stripers. Told me they caught 17 total and they had 5 on at once! We saw them going crazy when they had the 5 on at once. They were drifting live shad in around 22' of water. The place where they were fishing was about 200 yards from where we were anchored off and we caught about 6 bass out of that hole. Hope this helps in your striper searches!

TOBY

Red Devil, the wife and I caught our limit last night/evening just off of Ivy Hill ramp dragging jumbo shiners on 2 ounce lead. we got very lucky and hit the fish when they got hungry. I was just happy to get the skunk off of the new boat and to be o0ut on the lake on a beutiful night. Hope everyone catches their fill this weekend

RETNAVYENCM

Congratulations on getting the Skunk out of the New Boat......

I am going Sat morning.....where should I go?
Were you using Downriggers or Downrods.
You said you were using shiners and not shad!

I am still the proud owner of a skunk on my new boat.
Sure would like to catch just one little striper and get rid of him,(the shunk) didn't really have becoming a catfisherman in mind when I got the boat but it seems that all I catch!
The Bucket

Toby,

It would help our searches a great deal more if you'd give us the GPS coords of that LMB hole you mentioned.

This the same Bryan that catfished with us sometimes in the winter?

Toby

Hey Bryan-

I'll email them coordinates to you-- Just leave some of that bait in that hole for me! Toby hope you practiced CPR- I need some bait for tonight! Ha! Ha! the summer adventure begins today @ 3pm! 2 months of fishing every day! Hit me up Toby!

CPFISH

Dont even start with that already. I will admit I am jealous about you having 8 weeks to fish everyday. We need to get up and hit the water bud.

Toby

Yeah Toby, this be the same one.

CP,
It's hard to believe that anyone can get paid to fish for two whole months. We're talking check, insurance, the whole works. WHAT A DEAL!

Bucket if it were me I would head right back to the Ivy Hill ramp and put in there. I don't have any downriggers yet (they are on my list of must have items). We were using two ounce lead and about 4 to 5 foot of leader with 4/0 hooks and jumbo shiners that we bought at bobcats on the way down. we trolled at the slowest speed I could get to just keep us moving and the lines at about a 45 degree angle into the water. We were right off of the Ivy Hill ramp right around the little point to the right as you are leaving the ramp. there is some very shallow water there so be careful but there is a deep channel there also and that is where we were catching our fish. You will probably pick up a few cats there also. One of them that we caught had some kind of bug crawling in it's slime coat when we boated it. any idea what that might have been? good luck on saturday

I am still the proud owner of a skunk on my new boat.
Sure would like to catch just one little striper and get rid of him,(the shunk) didn't really have becoming a catfisherman in mind when I got the boat but it seems that all I catch!
The Bucket

RETNAVYENCM

Thanks for the advice, I will follow your tips.

I have no idea about the bug in the slime coat on the cat?

Allen my buddy at Graham Marine told me he has a set of swivel mount downriggers that set right in the rear rodholders that do not require any drilling.
He said they were very popular in the northeast, most anglers around here use Cannons or Penns that screw on. I guess the advantage to these is they would be so easy to remove when not in use.

I know nothing about downriggers!!!!!!!!
Are they for trolling?

I normally set the atuo pilot on the minnkota and travel along @ .5 miles per hr.....is this the right speed???? I drop 8 down rod's with 3oz egg weights w/ 2 ft leaders and pull 2 sea planer boards and 2 base ball corks and 2 freelines with split shot.

The more I read these terms and reports the more I realize I know so little about this kind of fishing and keeping bait alive and cast nets etc...I guess some of the old salt's are really Pros.

Hey thanks for the tip.....there really are some good guys on this fishing report. Real kind to us newbys.

The Good Lord Bless all of you on your fishing expeditions!
Bucket

Bucket it sounds to me like you know what you are doing. Downriggers are for trolling at a constant depth. They make it easy to egt to the depth the fish are at without having to guess at the depth like we do with just using lead weight and regular line.

You can get the rodholder mounts for any downriggers and that is what I am interested in buying when I fork out the money for downriggers.

trolling speed varies with the type of bait you are using and the depth you are trying to fish at.

the strangest thing about terms for fishing on here is many of us have different terms for the same thing so it can be confusing.

My son & I are the ones Toby mentioned that caught 17 stripers on tues. This was just one of 3 awesome days
we had this week.The stripers are all through w/ spawn mode and can be caught from Satterwhite to Clarksville. Anyone should be able to hook-up these days, They bite all day long so start early and finish late.

P.S.Toby, Please dont reveal the honeyhole.

Funny thing about those honey holes, suddenly one day when you go to it the fish are gone or you have three other boats sitting there

I will not publicly reveal that honey hole bud!

Toby