Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HUGE CARP

Hey guys was hoping someone could help me, one of the ponds around my house that I fish I've notice 4 Monster carp that have been cruzing around and was wondering if anyone had a good method to catch one of these rascals mainly want it for a citation working on my master angler II Thanks for any info

Re: HUGE CARP

we use doughballs,not to be confused with doeballs

Thank jamjr

I have used canned corn to bait a hole for them and use it for bait to catch them. A lot of folks have put them in ponds to control grass in the pond so make sure the owner is OK with you keeping them. Some folks are a little protective over the carp in their ponds. Hope this helps.

TRAP

Thanks alot Trap but I'm going to do the citation by the photo method no need to kill a fish

Doughballs or whole kernel corn. Anchor your rod down real well ( otherwise you may lose it ). Then sit back and wait.
Hope you have a lot of patience !

MOfish thanks buddy thats 2 people that have said corn so I'll give that a try thanks just fill hook up with corn or what

We use to throw in a handful of whole kernel corn to bait them in. Then put 5-7 kernels ona hook with a small split shot and put it right in the middle of the corn you threw in. Also take a burlap bag and put some dry catfod or dogfood in it. Hang it in the water by a rope for a day or 2 and then fish around it with corn.

thinks basscatnva I'll try that out

You are more than welcome Trapper jon, hope it works for you!
Don't know if you have carp fished befor or not but a word of advice. You had best have your drag set correctly. If you get a large one on he is going to run and take line. They don't play around and they don't like that hook.
Good luck

Be careful about using corn as bait. In some states it is illegal to use corn. The fish cannot digest it after they eat it, and it clogs up their systems and can end up killing the fish. I would check the regulations first. Not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want you to get a hefty fine and your rod(s) confiscated.

Dan Dickerson

Use dry oats with strawberry jelly. Mix the 2 together to make a ball. This might sound crazy but will work.

Thanks alot guys mofish I'll let you know how it turns out going to give it a try this weekend Bassdan thanks for the info I'll check regulations on that Sylvan I've heard of that used alot and these jackpot carp ponds thanks buddy

back when we carp fished a jackpot pond for money, we'd put a size 6 hook and a medium sized split shot on. A piece of sugar pops cereal goes on the hook, then you wrap a handfull of rice mixture around that as big as a grenade and fish it on the bottom. The rice falls off and scatters, they come along to feed on it and snatch up the sugar pop. Rice mixture is just mix up some minute rice with hot water in an old strofoam minnow bucket with lid. Add a big spoon of yellow mustard and 3-4 dashes of texas pete and mix. Put the lid on, and in a few minutes it's sticky enough to form the grenade. The channel cats he had preferred nightcrawlers dunked in McD's sweet and sour chicken nugget sauce, go figure.

Get yourself a box of cracker meal and a bottle of vanilla flavoring,mix the vanilla in the cracker mill until it forms up like dough and make a ball and push your hook into it and squeeze it firmly around the hook and toss it out and wait,they love vanilla which is what is it sugar pops too. I have a recipe for cooked doughballs if someone wants it,you can use it for carp and catfish.

caprandy; I would love to get the recipi. If you would just send it by e-mail, and thanks.
(MOE)

Guys just want to send out a big thanks to all of ya I'm planning to give a try this weekend if weather will let me so I'll post on here how things went and agian thanks alot to everyone

You guys all have great suggestions, but the real hint for carp is the bait which is WB2D (Wonder Bread Two Days old) Works like a charm and wont fall off your hook. One big suggestion is to use a small hook and a light drop sinker. if the carp feel and resistance of the line they will drop the bait. Carp are also very particular of how their food feels in their mouth, so small hooks are needed i would use snelled type hooks as they hook fish very easily. Circle hooks are a no no and the carp will not be hooked as circle hooks require the fish to hook themselves. Hang on tight they pull like a horse

Geo when you say drop sinker do you mean a drop shot weight or a regular split shot

we always used a small BB sized sinker, just enough weight to hold the sugar pop down. The rice grenade provided more than enough weight for casting. Make a loop with a peice of pipe cleaner and after you cast out leave some slack in your line. Slide the pipe cleaner down on the line and you can tell when you're getting a bite by watching the pipe cleaner. When you set the hook and start winding the pipe cleaner ends up on your rod out of the way. That'll give them room to pick it up and test it without feeling any weight, because as noted if they feel anything they'll drop it.

Thanks alot ray

you betcha, good luck! I caught a 40 incher when I was 10 (1974), I think that's the biggest fish I've ever caught.

We always used Kellog's Corn Pops on the hook with dough around it.

soak a couple peices of bread in grape juice then make dough balls out of it, also done good with 3-4 peices of corn above a night crawler on a hook. If you can find them mullberries work well.

When I was a kid some 55 years ago I used Wheaties cerceal with vanilla flavoring to mix together into a dough ball. Let them set for a day or two in the refig. wrapped in alum. foil to firm up. Place on the hook and wait.

Quote: Wheaties cereal with vanilla flavoring to mix together into a dough ball.

Mix it a little dry and then right before you ball it over the hook add just a little berry jam. Blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, Mulberry, etc..

They really like Mulberries, I've seen tons hanging around Mulberry trees eating the fallen berries. Bait the area with small balls of the dough about a 1/4 the size of a Blueberry. Make about 30-40 of these and toss them in a semi-circle where you plan on fishing.
Good luck and would enjoy seeing a photo if you catch one of them.

Thanks guys for all the info as much as I hate to say it my brother and I went this morning from 8:30 to 11:15 never had a run but I'm not one to give up easy so I'll keep ya posted but again thanks to everyone that has replied

Someone showed me how to use oatmeal. Throw some in the area you are going to fish to get them feeding. Take a handful of oats in your fist, dip them in the water, hold them up and squeeze as hard as you can. You can then mold them around the hook. Cover the whole hook, I have been told they can taste the metal of the hook. The oats will actually get harder in the water. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The fella who showed me lives in Rockbridge county, he has several citations and some of the In Fisherman citations too. He told me had tried everything, but had the best success with plain oats.
There are tons of websites about carp, esp. in europe. I guess there they are really popular there. Good luck!

thanks alot raymond

Trapper if you fishing a pond you dont need any weight,just bait the hook throw it out there and let it sink,leave a swag in your line so when he starts messing with it you will see the line start straightening out,be sure to seure that rod in something because carp will ski a rod to the deep end brother!!

Trapper,

Also remember that carp can detect anything odd (line, hooks, etc.) They can be very tricky to catch because if they detect anything strange about the bait they will go on without touching it again. Definitely leave slack in the line and don't use any type of leader on the setup. I usually will try to cover the swivel with bait also and only use fire wire line now because it doesn't have any give in the line so when I set the hook, the hook is set! I wouldn't go above 20 lb test (braided)which is around 8-10 lb diameter line. I prefer a medium to large spin-casting setup to add a little fun to the catch. My bait casting reels that I have would be too easy of a catch unless it's a 40+ lb carp. Medium-heavy rods with 25 lb diameter fire wire is a little too much for carp fishing!