Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Braided line

I've been using Power Pro for the last 4 years on most of my rods in various weights. I typically use 30lb for light grass, docks and wood, 50lb for slop, and 65lb for heavy jig fishing. I happen to have 65lb braid on my 6'8" Kistler Heavy that I use for casting and pitching bigger jigs, usually 1/2oz.-1 1/2oz. I was fishing with this rod yesterday around some reed beds and I decided to pick up my dads rod, similar to mine, a St. Croix 6'6" Heavy Premier loaded up with 30lb Power Pro and a 3/4oz jig. Much to my suprise, my dads rod felt much more sensitive to me. I cant figure out if it is the smaller diameter line, or the rod itself. I do own a few St. Croix Premiers and I do feel that they are a touch more sensitive than my Kistler. Does anyone else think that 30lb braid makes a big difference over 65lb braid in terms of sensitivity? Or is the St. Croix just that much more sensitive than my Kistler? Thanks.

Re: Braided line

The Kistler rods are built well and should not be fundamentally different than the St Croix. However, did you notice difference in the balance? I think the reel can make a big difference in your perception of sensitivity and the balance of the rod. As far as the line, you are right that diameter can affect the feel of the bait, thinner being better because it produces less drag in the water, which dampens sensitivity. It is a good question you ask - curious what others think on this one, because as we all know, sensitivity when jig fishing is paramount to success.

Re: Braided line

i would think the fact he was tossing a 3/4 oz lure while you're using 1 1/2 oz might have something to do with it, don't ya think?