Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Old Timers

I have fished Buggs since 1968. To my knowledge there seems to be more fish in the lake than ever?

Do you think it is because of keeping the water at a certain level when spawning?

Re: Question for Old Timers

I am sure that keeping a good flow going during the spawn helps a lot.
Buggs Island Striper Club provides manpower to the VDGIF during stocking. The VDGIF stocks 350,000 stripers each year. They have been doing this for the last 5 years. It is now showing up as we have a lot of small stripers.
Let'em grow, Let'em go.
CPR your fish and be proud that you are helping to grow a big fish for tomorrow.

prolly no more fish...we just gettin better at catchin them.

Ramrod, I talked to a guy the other day on a job site that said he worked for the hatchery in Brookneal part time shocking fish to get the breeders during the spring and that they have put well over 2 million in the water this year! Hope that is true info

I have to agree that the population is now getting back to normal but, In my opinion the fish are not as big now as say in the late 70s early 80s. Although it was ruined by the actions of a few there was a heck of lot of good quality fish on hand then as compared to now. Im sure there are folks that will disagree with me on this but that is the way I see it.

TRAP

I didn't fish the lake way back then but I'd like to see bigger fish in the lake as far as the striper go and big LMB would be good too

Thanks for the response.

Ramrod what is the best way to CPR a big striper?

Heading out tomorrow morning; where have you seen the biggest schools of stripers?
(Eastland / Dam / SatterWh.)

Plan ahead. Know fishing rules, minimum sizes and creel limits. Use tackle heavy enough to bring the fish in quickly. Have tools ready-net, de-hooker and camera. Use barbless hooks, they are easier to remove.
Handling your catch. Keep fish in the water whenever possible. Use knotless or rubber net. If you must handle fish, get your hands wet or use wet gloves. Do not touch the gills or eves. Do not remove the protective slime.Do not allow the fish to flop on the deck of the boat. Return to the water quickly-maximum time out of the water should be laess than 15 seconds. Never hold the fish vertically except maybe to weigh it.
Removing the hook. Be quick and careful. Remove hook if possible. Grasp fish with firm grip on the lower jaw or hold gently in the palm of your hand. Use a J-style dehooker, deep-throat dehooker or long nose pliers.
Releasing the Fish. Return fish to the water quickly and gently. Move exhausted fish slowly through the water to force water through its gills. Maximum time out of the water should be less than 15 seconds.
Ramrod

I was not even alive in 1968 but I think technology has changed fishing. I think back then there were better fisherman becasue the high tech stuff and books were not discovered. You basically figured it all out on your own with basic equipment. It may have taken more skill in the 60's. In 2007 there seems to be no limit these on how much money you can spend on fishing. There are still good fisherman out there today I just think people from my generation have it a lot easier than old timers.

Just my humble thoughts

Anglerman

Technology has certainly made them easier to catch but there were not nearly as many people fishing for stripers just 10 years ago. Without the stocking that has been going on, we would not be catching all those 24" to 25" fish these days. Up until five years ago there had been very limited striped bass stocking since the fish naturally reproduce in Buggs unlike most other lakes in the USA. The striper fry at Brookneal were being sent to other lakes like Smith Mountain. The BISC worked hard with the VDGIF to get the stocking program in the lake started after our members complained about the declining number of fish being caught back in 2001. If you’re a striper fisherman on Buggs, please support the Buggs Island Striper Club.

Stocking 2 million stripers tends to make us anglers happy about our prospects of catching fish.This gives justification to the fishery managers to work toward a heavy stocking regimen to keep us anglers happy(and the hatchery operations funded).BUT,we can shoot ourselves in the foot with this thinking sometimes because A)such a heavy emphasis on striper production causes gaps in our ability to fund management for other species we also love AND B)Stocking too many stripers every year or so can quickly tip the forage balance in an impoundment to the detrimental condition where too many stripers chase too few shad.This leads to problems like our friends at SML know all too well:stressed-out stripers with skinny bodies and ugly parasite outbreaks such as the arrow worms which infest the mouths of fish and are enough to turn most people's stomach(especially kids and wives).Please be aware that stocking is just a tool-NOT a method to solve all population problems.Be Careful what you ask for,it looks as if you just might get it.2 million stripers in one year can consume alot of shad that our beloved bass and crappie might have been able to thrive upon as well.Think about it this way--500,000 stripers would MAYBE be a better idea,as they would grow faster(more food),leave some food for the other fish,and also there would be more room for more stripers next year,etc. because there are shad leftover that were not consumed by too many fish in the lake at one time.Smith Mountain is only one lake that has suffered terribly by the 'more is always better' stocking philosophy.Their problems began when someone decided planting a million apex predator fish was a good idea.

I THINK THE NUMBER IS 350,000 AND ABOUT HALF OF THOSE SURVIVE THE FIRST YEAR.

I agree with ltl.weed, the number I'm hearing is 350,000 per year. The hatchery may have put 2 million in the water but not all in Buggs. Only a small percentage lives to adult size. Smith Mt last I checked has been receiving 1 million yearly. It was not that many years ago that Smith Mt was the east coasts premiere trophy striper lake. The "gill maggots" killed off most of their big fish just like in Buggs.

Did any organization stock Cats in Buggs? I never remember this many Cats 5-7 years ago.

You get bigger fish when you have the forethought to let some of the ones you catch go rather than ride them around and show you friends,catch and release is the only way to maintain the fish stocks anywhere.Before you start I do keep a few to eat but it none of the larger ones that are the breeders.

I've been fishing at Buggs for about 35 years. Don't know about the number of fish there. One thing for sure there are many, many more fishermen trying to catch the fish that are there.