This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
live baiting

Gents,

I have lived on the coast for a while and have not done much freshwater fishing. I am going to Kerr/Buggs in early July. I am planning on trying to catch some bream on my fly rod. How do you catfisherman rig these. Without trying to sound like a complete idiot. Do you rig them with a circle through the lips and use a treble trailer or what. I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone would have to give.
Jeremy

Re: live baiting

It dependes on if your sitting still in dead water,fishing in heavy current,trolling or drifting? Dead water sitting still regular octopus through the tail or back. All other through the lipps or eyes with either regular octopus hook or octopus circle. Hope this helps and good luck. also use a 8/0 or bigger hook.

It depends on if your sitting still in dead water, fishing in heavy current, trolling or drifting? Dead water sitting still regular octopus through the tail or back. All other through the lips or eyes with either regular octopus hook or octopus circle. Hope this helps and good luck. also use a 8/0 or bigger hook. Bad spelling so I sent again

Quint,

Thanks for the advice, the area we usually stay at ( Kimble Point) has little to no current that I know of. I will use the 8/0. How much weight would you use with little to no current.] I will have my boat, I thought I would put a few baits out at night, and try for some bass in the mornings I have never had any luck other than small ( 2pd or less cats) and bream at Kerr. Once again I am very appreciative of your advice.
Jeremy

Jeremy

I would recommend drifting or trolling both live and cut bait on the wind blown points, cove mouths and creek mouths with a combo of float, bottom and down lines loaded with 1oz-3oz lead. And some free lines with swivel only. Keep moving and trying different things until something works for you. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your advice . I will try it .

This time of year I would use some Slip Bobber rigs, hook the Bream through the lips or eyes, and if you want to increase your hook up rate use a trailer hook hooked in the tail of the bream or just let it dangle free. We drift with slip bobbers and tear them up this time of year.

Thanks for the advice,

I take it that you use the slip bobbers to suspend the bait. On average how far above the bottom do you suspend them. I know I am going on and on, I am only trying to learn, I would love to catch a 10+ pd cat. Thanks
Jeremy

If you have a graph look for the depth of the fish and bait set floats at that depth or a little short of it. You may have your screen do the clutter deal at night if so set lines at break line or short of it. When this happens you will not mark fish or bait. Day time the clutter situation can reverse on the bottom side of the lake.

I sometimes fish in 70+ feet of water in the morning during the summer and only have my bobbers set to around 10-15ft deep! I mainly fish anywhere from 30-50ft of water though, and still keep the bobbers set around 10-15. If you think about it, slip bobbers are just like Jugs that a lot of people use to catch tons of catfish, but using bobbers/rod and reel actually requires a little fishing skill, and is a lot more fun.