Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vertical Stripe Buoys

I don't get the black vertical stripe buoys. Yes, I understand they mean don't pass between the buoy and land, but half the time they are in the middle of the creek. Why not put a second one in the direction you are NOT suppose to pass so you know to go to the other side? I see a lot of people just stay away from the buoy, but still pass on the wrong side. In other words, without the second buoy, the first really isn't serving its full purpose, is it?

Re: Vertical Stripe Buoys

Good Point (no pun intended). On the vertical striped buoys where it isn't obvious, why not have the vertical striped buoy on the outside, and a danger buoy on the inside? I saw this set up on a small lake in Wisconsin -- no question where to go. The best set up I have seen of the vertically striped buoys is in Beaver Pond --no question there either.

Also, I don't know how many boats I saw 'cut the corner' inside the red buoy at Goodell Creek. I saw a Ranger with 250 Yamaha I thought was going to leave his prop for sure, but I guess he got lucky.

I was aware that the buoy means dont pass between buoy and shore, but misinterpreted it to mean dont pass "one another" between that buoy and shore?? I'm new to boating, and trying tolearn some more if anyone can help.Thanks.

If you see a buoy with black vertical stripes, stop and read your topo map. You will see a point coming out from one of the directions. Be sure to pass on the other side. The one near Bluestone is a good example. As you head to main lake, I think you need to pass on the left. I saw a guy run on the right. Is this safe?

While I'm not sure about the one in Bluestone, I am sure about one in a big creek arm off grassy. This is one where you could easily lose a lower unit if you choose incorrectly.

The one in the mouth of Little Nutbush is also easy to run incorrectly.

It's not really an issue of being too close to the centerline, but it sits so far off the point at normal pool, that many people probably never know it's there. When the water drops a few feet, they will be reminded. I see people run WELL inside of this one way too often.

Another buoy or two on that shoal would not be a bad idea.

they'd decide they need to write a bunch of tickets to cover the cost, no thanks

perhaps some tickets to the jet-skiers and bad boaters might not be so bad...